Swollen eye, white to opaque.

Lolachook

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Hey everyone. I have had this occur in 2 birds a year ago, which were removed from the flock permanently. Now it is occurring again in one bird, maybe two, which have been quarantined. There is no respiratory rattling, no foamy eye, very little pus. Mostly the bird is lethargic, keeps the eye closed, but when I wipe it with a warm towel the eye is opaque/white. Clearly blind in that eye. Thoughts?

Is there a fowl odor (before you start antibiotics?) I'm not an expert since I haven't treated it in my own birds, but I would suspect coryza. Coryza comes back whenever the chicken experiences any type of stress. Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon, and SulfamedG) will treat it best. MG can also cause eye swelling from swollen sinuses, and the eye can later become opaque. MG responds better to Tylan. Most people would recommend culling for either of these diseases to limit their spread. Below are some pictures from Cornell University.

CORYZA-006A%20x420.jpg
MYCOPLASMOSIS-013A%20x420.jpg

Infectious coryza Mycoplasma Gallisepticum

Fowl cholera can cause similar symptoms of coryza. Here is a picture of an eye that was looking for earlier that shows chronic fowl cholera:

PAST-009A%20x420.jpg

Thank you for the pics and reference to the Cornell site. I am wondering if the picture of the fowl cholera eye was taken post-mortem as there is no swelling around it. My current girl (the picture I posted was an old one) has a super swollen eye. It looks just like the fowl cholera post, with exception of the swelling. Also, no other bird seems lethargic and ill like her, this fowl cholera seems like it would have wiped out the flock. Maybe E.coli in the eye? Hmmmm?

Back
Top Bottom