Swollen feet! STILL SWOLLEN! SCALES ARE BLACK. MITES???

It actually looks more like frostnip but it can be frostbite too, here's something I found about frostbite in chickens:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6906829_treatments-frostbite-chickens_.html
I just can't imagine why she'd get frostbite on her feet. All the others are fine. The combs are all good too. Their house blocks the wind well, but still has ventillation in the eaves. The roosts are 2x4s with the 4inch side flat for them to sit on. She's a big bird and should have no trouble keeping her feet warm if she's sitting on them. I don't get it.

weird
hu.gif
i have no idea

Without reading the entire post, my first thought is gout. Gouty feet normally aren't so pretty as her's. You most likely won't be able to feel the uric acid crystals. When you feel the swollen area, it's soft or hard? Gouty deposits are hard and immobile. I would keep soaking her feet and legs in very warm salt water.

Without reading the entire post, my first thought is gout. Gouty feet normally aren't so pretty as her's. You most likely won't be able to feel the uric acid crystals. When you feel the swollen area, it's soft or hard? Gouty deposits are hard and immobile. I would keep soaking her feet and legs in very warm salt water.
The swollen parts feel soft.

Her feet look the same today. As I was opening the hen house today, I inspected it for drafts, and possible way she could have gotten frostbite and no. I'm going to say there's no way from the way it looks in there. It's clean and dry and draft free.

How do I treat for gout??? Should I take her off layer pellets and feet her grower feed instead?

I just don't know what else it could be. I've never dealt with gout before in chickens nor human. If she's free ranging when it really cold and damp then she could get frostnip from it. Maybe she didn't get it in the coop? Not a clue to help you with this.

I just don't know what else it could be. I've never dealt with gout before in chickens nor human. If she's free ranging when it really cold and damp then she could get frostnip from it. Maybe she didn't get it in the coop? Not a clue to help you with this.
Nope. Never had one left outside by themselves for the night. Her feet look just as swollen today. Right now, I'm treating it like gout. I'm giving her lots of greens and oats to eat. Trying to clean out her system.

I'm seeing a little improvement. (I think) The swelling looks like it went down just a bit. She isn't favoring one leg over the other anymore. I do believe it is gout. I've stop giving her the chicken feed altogether. I'm giving her whole grains, fruits, and leafy greens plus apple cider vinegar in her water. If she looks any better I'll possibly return her to the flock tomorrow night while they're sleeping.

Sounds like things are looking up for Ms. Lola. I don't think for a second that she had frostbite. If the recommended diet seems to be working then it may be gout. If so, it was caught fairly early which is a good thing. You and Lola make a great team!

Back
Top Bottom