Swollen foot, not bumble foot nor gout

Dyanknasinski

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
New Berlin, WI
Our Oreo has had a swollen foot for about 4 weeks now. She has been limping not wanting to put pressure on it at all. We asked a local chicken lady, she said wait a week. We did. Soaked. Tried some different balms for inflammation. No better. Took her to local vet, xrays and bloodwork. Not bumble foot not gout. Gave us oral pain meds. No help. Tried oral antibiotics, these caused her comb to become quite pale, gave yellow diarrhea and she looked awful. No help. As soon as those were stopped no diarrhea comb is nice and red again. Foot no better. She did have an indebted small black spot that I removed this week. It was like a blackhead. Keeping it clean and now have tried CBD oil for pain. Still not better and swollen. I am out of ideas to try. She is eating and drinking. Limping around but her foot clearly hurts and is still swollen. Any other ideas of what I can try?
Pics are from beginning to this morning

Attachments

• 348E3697-1D9D-4C94-AF93-00E3B9004559.jpeg
    348E3697-1D9D-4C94-AF93-00E3B9004559.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 18
The vet said it did not look like bumble foot either. It was was small and indented. It looked really clean when I got it out. Didn’t bleed at all. How long does it take for relief after removal?

question, do you have stuff down for landing when they come off the roost in the mornings? Mine will get swollen feet without something on the floor of coop to soften their landing as they don't like using the ladder. Just because it was small doesn't mean it wasn't bumblefoot and antibiotic cream should have been used, if it was and it's closed up that infection would remain in her and get into the bone even if it was just the beginnings of it.
I use garden soil if I am out of sand covered in pine shavings

question, do you have stuff down for landing when they come off the roost in the mornings? Mine will get swollen feet without something on the floor of coop to soften their landing as they don't like using the ladder. Just because it was small doesn't mean it wasn't bumblefoot and antibiotic cream should have been used, if it was and it's closed up that infection would remain in her and get into the bone even if it was just the beginnings of it.
I use garden soil if I am out of sand covered in pine shavings

There is straw but she uses the ladder. We didn’t use antibiotic cream it was oral. We put some sod in the coop for her to walk on as well. They free range in the yard for a few hours a day as well.

The relief isn't in the removal of the plug, it's in getting the infection out. If it's swollen then there is probably some cheesy type puss substance underneath the black spot. It won't necessarily bleed when you take it out, either. Sometimes it will not squeeze out and may have to be lanced. That would be my last option, although. I don't know about the antibiotics part of it. @Eggcessive most likely could guide you there.

It looks like the start of bumblefoot. I would soak the feet once a day in warm Epsom salts for about 30 minutes. Some use a drawing salve such as Prid (from Walmart or drugstores) to draw out infection. Others use Tricide Neo, a fish product ordered online that sounds like a good treatment for bumblefoot. Some have reported using Betadine and sugar as a foot dressing for several days has helped. My soil is very full of sharp rocks that can cause cuts and abrasions, so I have seen quite a few cases of bumblefoot. Once the infection is farther along, you sometimes have to cut out the solid plug of pus. Here is some info on tricide neo:
https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2013/11/09/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/

upload_2019-9-20_13-50-15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom