Swollen Foot on Baby Chick

lubelle

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
I noticed that one of our Black Copper Maran chicks was favoring one foot over the other. She is less than two weeks old, still living in the brooder. When I looked closely at her feet, I saw that one foot appears pinker/redder than the other. That foot also seems to be a bit swollen. There does appear to be a small bump on the pad of her foot. Does anyone know if a baby chick can get bumblefoot? And if so, what is the best way to treat her?

Bumble foot is when they get a cut or sore on there foot and it gets infected and swollen so yes it's possible that it could be bumble foot
hmm.png
. This is something that I found on a wed site on bumble foot
smile.png

Detection:
"Regular foot inspections is recommended. The most common symptoms of bumblefoot include limping or lameness. Inspection of the foot pad may reveal redness, swelling and either a callous-looking lesion or a black scab."

Treatment:
"The affected foot should be cleaned thoroughly with Vetericyn VF, a Betadine solution or soaked in water containing dissolved epsom salt. Mild cases can take a 'wait and see' approach but they tend to get worse. Some cases can be treated with the removal of the scab and the application of Vetericyn 2-3 times a day until healed.
More advanced cases may need to be surgically treated and some may require a course of antibiotics."

Back
Top Bottom