Swollen juicy eye - thoughts?

zaz13

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
West PalmBeach, FL
hey guys - we noticed about 4-5 days ago that one of our seramas had a little bump right by her eye. We'd never seen anything like it before and it didn't seem to bother her so we thought maybe it was a mosquito bite or something.

Here we are 4-5 days later and I notice it's gotten much worse (bigger swelling, and now the eye is irritated and has discharge).
20200918_184422.jpg

20200918_184333.jpg

20200918_184308.jpg

20200918_184313.jpg

She has been acting totally normal. Eating, drinking, coming in and out of the coop to free range with the rest of our flock. I read that it could be coryza - but that the eye would have unpleasant, rancid stench.

It could be mycoplasma but she does not have a runny nose, discharge, or sneezing.

What do yall think? Thanks in advance!

Could she have been stung?
Its definitely possible that something could have stung her, or maybe even an ant could've made it all the way up there and bit her.

I should have taken photos when I first noticed it. Because, in my memory, it was smaller omwhen I first noticed it. Which would mean that the swelling is getting worse. But, when I first noticed, the eye didn't seem to have any issues yet - no juicy discharge like it has now.

I could be wrong- maybe it's the same size and it is a bite/sting. And due to the fact that it is in such a sensitive place, that it will take awhile to heal?

Perhaps there is some injury to the eye? Or something in there? Like shavings..hay etc. it could be worth washing it out, especially if she’s acting completely fine otherwise, MG seems to make the face skin on both sides swell up. Best of luck to her:)

It still could be mycoplasma even though you are not seeing sneezing or nasal drainage. Those might start later. Can you get some antibiotics from your vet locally that treat MG? Tylosin for pigeons, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, and Denagard are some that treat MG. If it gets better, that would point to MG. Or you could have some testing done by a local vet to send off, contact your state poultry vet for testing, or send off to a lab called Zoologix who will send you swabs to collect and return for testing. Here is a link for Zoologix:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Here is some info about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

It still could be mycoplasma even though you are not seeing sneezing or nasal drainage. Those might start later. Can you get some antibiotics from your vet locally that treat MG? Tylosin for pigeons, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, and Denagard are some that treat MG. If it gets better, that would point to MG. Or you could have some testing done by a local vet to send off, contact your state poultry vet for testing, or send off to a lab called Zoologix who will send you swabs to collect and return for testing. Here is a link for Zoologix:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Here is some info about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
I have a friend who has some tylosin powder that I can use. I should probably separate her into a quarintine pen for a week or so, that way I can administer tylosin (without giving it to all of my hens and having to pull eggs) and keep a close eye?

One question - I have only 2 seramas and they are attached at the hip. The little black one in these photos is the girl and we have a little brown boy who follows her everywhere!
I'd hate to see them get separated and have him freak out. Would it be okay for me to quarantine him alongside her? I'm sure a little tylosin couldn't hurt him either... they spend so much time together and are always so touchy and close.

The dosage of Tylosin powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. It is up to you whether or not to treat the male, but if they would be upset being separated, that may be best. If one could be in a dog crate with food and water, but the other outside of it with his own food and water, that would be okay.

The dosage of Tylosin powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. It is up to you whether or not to treat the male, but if they would be upset being separated, that may be best. If one could be in a dog crate with food and water, but the other outside of it with his own food and water, that would be okay.
The two tiny birds would probably drink much less then a gallon in 5 days. Could I prepare maybe half a gallon @ half a teaspoon and then refrigerate it - changing out for fresh refrigerated water every morning?

Back
Top Bottom