swollen leg :(

JellyBean13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
washington state
One of my dogs decided to try and play with one of my ducks yesterday and now her entire leg is swollen. What should I do? She is resting in her brooder right now but am still worried.

Add 2 tablespoons Epsom salt to half a cup of warm water. Soak a clean cloth in that. Wring it out slightly, don't let the duck eat or drink it - it is a laxative.

Wrap the leg in the cloth, keeping it there for 5 or 10 minutes if you can.

Do that three or four times a day. Give the duck time in a lukewarm bath - no soap - deep enough to float in, to improve circulation and take weight off the leg.

Look closely, making sure there is no break or puncture.

As always, a good vet's help is best. And we cannot always swing it, especially nights, weekends, holidays.

I put just a tiny bit of Traumeel cream on leg injuries at night, when the duck doesn't have access to the swim pan.

Some leg injuries take several days to heal - every now and then, longer.

Thank you so much Amiga! I checked her leg and found no puncture marks or blood. I cleaned her up and have been letting her rest. She was just up and moving so I think the swelling has gone down a bit but I will definitly try your suggestions! Aside from a mild limp she is eating, drinking and bathing just like normal. She always seems to be the one the dogs like. This is the third time she has been made a dog toy. :( but I always keep her safe and make sure to take super care of her!

Thank you so much Amiga! I checked her leg and found no puncture marks or blood. I cleaned her up and have been letting her rest. She was just up and moving so I think the swelling has gone down a bit but I will definitly try your suggestions! Aside from a mild limp she is eating, drinking and bathing just like normal. She always seems to be the one the dogs like. This is the third time she has been made a dog toy.
sad.png
but I always keep her safe and make sure to take super care of her!
Sounds like dogs and ducks need to be kept separate. Dogs even playing can kill a duck or duckling.

Back
Top Bottom