Swollen legs in my 7yr old hen and she is wheezing

pwand

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
BC Canada
My chicken is almost 7yrs old, both her legs are swollen. I have been agressively been putting vasiline and mineral oil on all my chickens legs for the past few months. I know for sure one of my hens had leg mites, I don't think she does. She looks almost like maybe she has arthritus, she still gets around fine. I've noticed over the past year she has gradually lost her voice, tonight I was checking on them and now she sounds like she is wheezing. Her face is not swollen, when she breaths. I did check her awhile back to see if she had gape worms and didn't see any, I'm thinking she probably has a tumor. I know she is getting old for a chicken, I guess I should expect maybe its her age and she is getting old. Is it possible they can have arthuritus and swell in there legs? I checked her throat and her larynx is half opened. I don't see gape worm.

Last edited:
Oh i really hope someone can help you. Swelling wouldnt be caused by mites i think becuse they raise the scales. Since she is so old, i would say arthrisus. But it could be an allergic reaction to a plant shes earting maybe? Im not sure if its winter where you are. Maybe you should bring her inside for the winter, sincee shes so old.

Last edited:
Sounds like typical arthritic conditions of an aging hen. Monitor the breathing, as swelling can be tied to organ failure. Hoping for the best for her.

Thanks for replying. She seems to be ok. I wish I had the heart to put her down. We called the vets and they want $90. She doesn't seem to be suffering at the moment. Do you know how long she could go like this? This is the first time for me having senior chickens. I have another one her age, she is in really good shape. Its hard to believe how much time passes, it seems like yesturday when we got our first four chickens.

Back
Top Bottom