Swollen newborn duckling

Hey guys. Making another thread for visibility. Just had a 2nd egg hatch from the duck eggs I've been incubating. He took about 3 days and a half compared to his sibling to fully hatch out due to pipping on the opposite end. Hes very lively, peeping and trying to move but is extremely swollen. Is there anything I can do for him? I put a tiny bit of neosporin on the opening.
Not a pro, but I hatched 3 ducks myself last week. Keep his brooder clean and keep an eye on it. most of that stuff should dry and fall off on its own. I had one born still attached to the yolk and let it dry in its own. Also, I put some nutridrench vitamins in their water to help them along. as for the legs, google search ways to fix it asap. Mine had splayed legs and within a day of pulling them together with vet-tape, he was perfectly fine and running around!

Let me know if I can help any further! I'll do my best. Goodluck!

-Jessica

Not a pro, but I hatched 3 ducks myself last week. Keep his brooder clean and keep an eye on it. most of that stuff should dry and fall off on its own. I had one born still attached to the yolk and let it dry in its own. Also, I put some nutridrench vitamins in their water to help them along. as for the legs, google search ways to fix it asap. Mine had splayed legs and within a day of pulling them together with vet-tape, he was perfectly fine and running around!

Let me know if I can help any further! I'll do my best. Goodluck!

-Jessica
I think he's good now. The leg is still a tiny bit crooked but he's running like the wind. He's been eating and drinking, and cuddling with his big sibling. The only concern I have is that scab where the yolk was, but I've been putting neosporin on it and it's closed so I think it's alright. He's still a bit round, but the swelling is almost completely gone. When the scab falls off will there be a hole? Or should that seal okay? I have been adding electrolytes & probiotics to their water too.

More good news. He managed to escape his container while I was doing household chores (little stinker...) and when I came back to check on them he was out cuddling with the big one and both were asleep. So I guess they settled their differences šŸ˜….
That's excellent. I'm so glad he's feeling better. How is his foot? I agree Trouble or Mischief would be an adorable name.

That's excellent. I'm so glad he's feeling better. How is his foot? I agree Trouble or Mischief would be an adorable name.
His foot is good. I wrote above but I'll just repeat here haha šŸ˜…. The leg/foot is still a tiny bit crooked but he's running around no problem now. He follows the big one around all over the brooder. I caught him trying to bathe in the water dish I gave them, this morning (I have rocks in it so he can't drown since he's much smaller).

Let me just add size shouldn't be a hug issue. I have the sweetist and so tiny little mallard girl living with 3 giant anconas.... and the anconas are the scared ones.
Yeah, I just mentioned it cause he's so tiny! The 1st one that hatched is already bigger then my hand. The little guy is like, golfball size. But I'm sure he'll catch up soon!

Back
Top Bottom