Swollen newborn duckling

Aaawww

I might have forgotten and don't feel like scrolwing back if it wasn't mentioned lol (sorry) but what bread is the cutie?
I've got no idea 😅. I got the eggs from a local farmers market. A few users on here guessed but I think the closest guess was call duck mixes. The women selling them said they were peking eggs, but the eggs were blue & green and I've never known a peking to lay either.

I think he's good now. The leg is still a tiny bit crooked but he's running like the wind. He's been eating and drinking, and cuddling with his big sibling. The only concern I have is that scab where the yolk was, but I've been putting neosporin on it and it's closed so I think it's alright. He's still a bit round, but the swelling is almost completely gone. When the scab falls off will there be a hole? Or should that seal okay? I have been adding electrolytes & probiotics to their water too.
The scab will heal over and fall off 👍
There won't be a hole, probably just a pink area.
His foot is good. I wrote above but I'll just repeat here haha 😅. The leg/foot is still a tiny bit crooked but he's running around no problem now. He follows the big one around all over the brooder. I caught him trying to bathe in the water dish I gave them, this morning (I have rocks in it so he can't drown since he's much smaller).
Sorry I missed it somehow 😂
He sounds like he's going to do great. I will add, that if he's smaller he may be a different mix which would mean he's just genetically going to be smaller. He could be all Call. :idunno
Can you post a full body pic of him? What color egg did he hatch from?

The scab will heal over and fall off 👍
There won't be a hole, probably just a pink area.

Sorry I missed it somehow 😂
He sounds like he's going to do great. I will add, that if he's smaller he may be a different mix which would mean he's just genetically going to be smaller. He could be all Call. :idunno
Can you post a full body pic of him? What color egg did he hatch from?
I do have this pic of him, though I can get one of them together later so you can see the size difference. He's very compact 😅.

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_140620509.jpg
    IMG_20201221_140620509.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 11
Okay finally got the pic! I've been in the kitchen baking and pureeing pumpkins since 12 so didn't have a chance earlier.
Wow. I'm going to go out in a limb here and say that's a dwarf duckling. I had one a few years ago and he had a weird head shape exactly like that. The forehead is like super flat. He may catch up in time, or he may not. Do you have any other ducklings hatching?
I had to assist my dwarf duckling, and after a ton of TLC, he eventually caught up and made it. It was a lot of work though.

Wow. I'm going to go out in a limb here and say that's a dwarf duckling. I had one a few years ago and he had a weird head shape exactly like that. The forehead is like super flat. He may catch up in time, or he may not. Do you have any other ducklings hatching?
I had to assist my dwarf duckling, and after a ton of TLC, he eventually caught up and made it. It was a lot of work though.
I don't, just these 2 hatched out of 3. The 3rd died while pipping and had a massively out of proportion head when I opened the egg up to look. By dwarf do you mean, this is bred on purpose or it's just something that happens randomly? How big is yours now? Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom