Swollen newborn duckling

He originally was keeping his foot like that when he hatched but I assumed it was from the long time he was in the egg. I wrapped them when I put him in the brooder just in case but I think it's a deformity as it's facing inwards. For the brooder I currently have old (rough) towels in there. I have him in his own little thing right now so he doesn't get stepped on. The other baby has been staring at him over the edge of the container. Probably wondering why I won't let him out haha. I did get a picture but he had his foot folded up so it's difficult to see.
You could probably let him in with the other and see how they do. I agree with Kiki, you wrapped them? How?

You could probably let him in with the other and see how they do. I agree with Kiki, you wrapped them? How?
I used the band-aid trick for chicks with splay leg. Took a regular soft band-aid, put each side on either leg (not to tight) and put him in the container.

I did the band-aid trick for splay leg.
That wouldn't really help in this situation, but as long as it's off now I doubt any harm was done. I wouldn't tape them, give him at least 48 hours as a chance to straighten them on his own. I have had really bad luck any time I taped bird feet. They always died. No idea why, I tried different tapes, different kinds of birds, different methods, etc. They always died. I have to think they'll straighten, I don't think it's a deformity. Where does the leg get weird? Hock or ankle?

That wouldn't really help in this situation, but as long as it's off now I doubt any harm was done. I wouldn't tape them, give him at least 48 hours as a chance to straighten them on his own. I have had really bad luck any time I taped bird feet. They always died. No idea why, I tried different tapes, different kinds of birds, different methods, etc. They always died. I have to think they'll straighten, I don't think it's a deformity. Where does the leg get weird? Hock or ankle?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, the site went down for me! But that's so weird. I got the band-aid fix advice on this forum a few years back and used it twice on chicks and never had any issues. But stuff does get outdated so I'm sure it's not correct now. As of now he's motoring. The leg is still the same but he seems to have adjusted to it within only an hour! I put the two ducklings together and he ran over to the water dish by himself and drank a ton. The bigger one started pulling on his bill (pretty hard 😥) and messing with his legs and scab so I put him back in his container for right now.

Well this morning his leg is slipping out from under him now and is staying back behind him. I tried putting the ducklings together again to let him move around and the bigger one is still attacking him 😥. He did drink a ton and eat some food though.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, the site went down for me! But that's so weird. I got the band-aid fix advice on this forum a few years back and used it twice on chicks and never had any issues. But stuff does get outdated so I'm sure it's not correct now. As of now he's motoring. The leg is still the same but he seems to have adjusted to it within only an hour! I put the two ducklings together and he ran over to the water dish by himself and drank a ton. The bigger one started pulling on his bill (pretty hard 😥) and messing with his legs and scab so I put him back in his container for right now.
The site was down for me too! Idk what was wrong. The band aid thing works great for me. Taping feet is what I have had bad luck with. This.
Screenshot_2020-12-21-09-18-14.png

If the other one isn't liking him he may know there's something internally wrong. Hopefully there's not, but just be prepared that he might just not be strong enough to make it. Make sure he has his own food and water near him too.

Well this morning his leg is slipping out from under him now and is staying back behind him. I tried putting the ducklings together again to let him move around and the bigger one is still attacking him 😥. He did drink a ton and eat some food though.
Poor little guy. Can you try to post a pic maybe?

Back
Top Bottom