Swollen, red eye in a 3-week-old chick

mirandalola

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2016
NorthEast Texas, USA
I've been thinking this chick was lethargic, but I looked at her more closely today and saw her eyes are swollen. When she does open them, they're red and watery. Is this conjunctivitis or eye worm?

I read somewhere that VetRX is good for eye worms, and I figure if it's conjunctivitis it wouldn't hurt it either, but I'm confused as to the dosage. Do I mix it with water or use it straight out of the bottle?

Where did she come from? Eye pecking by other chicks, or respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza can cause swelling of the eyes, and those diseases may also cause crusting or pus from the eyes, eye bubbles, sneezing, and labored breathing. Does it seem like a respiratory disease, or have you noticed the other chicks pecking eyes? Clean the eyes with saline or water, and if there is drainage or pus, apply an antibiotic ointment, such as Terramycin eye ointment or plainneosporin twice a day. Here is some reading about respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

There's been no pecking, and there are no respiratory symptoms. Just the swollen, leaky eyes.

This chick is one of 9 I got about 2 weeks ago; until this morning she was the only one with symptoms. This morning I noticed another chick with reddish eyes. Again, no other symptoms.

There are a few chicks with runny noses, but they're not having any trouble breathing and their eyes are healthy. They also have no other symptoms besides the runny noses: no lethargy, no coughing or wheezing.

I would suspect a respiratory disease. Most of them such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and coryza are contagious, and can make carriers of the whole flock, sometimes for life. It would be good to keep these chicks apart from your other chickens, and get them tested for what they have. I would be tempted to return them to the seller if possible. Within the next 2 months, feedstores will no longer be able to sell antibiotics without a prescription. But right now, you can still buy oxytetracycline or Duramycin 10 to treat bacterial respiratory infections. Here is a good article that includes these and other diseases to read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Okay....Sometimes the fine dust from the pine shavings bothers them...The swollen eye could be from the particles stuck in the eye...Chickens are dusty and kick up dust....I only ever use Sand.......Not sure of your set up? Usually Chickens are tough....I am thinking bedding before doom and gloom....

Cheers!

So, now my whole brooder is full of runny-nosed, sneezy chicks. Still only 2 of them with swollen eyes, but the worst one now has white goop on that eye and coming out of her nose. Still no labored breathing or rattles or anything like that, but I suspect MG. There's no avian vet near me, so how could I possibly test for this?

Back
Top Bottom