swollen watery eyes...what causes this

lilbreeches

Songster
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Delight, AR
My uncle has a rooster and 2 hens in his flock that have what looks like swollen watery eyes. the roo has both like this and the hens are only affected in one eye. I went over to look at it and have not seen anything like it before. Also, one of the hens is sneezing and sounds weird when she breathes. They are all eating and drinking but are not active at all.

So, anyone know what this is, what causes it, and is there a way to treat it? His poor roo is so pitiful trying to see and it is really hard for him.

Sounds like siuntitus(sp) You can treat it with LA 200 , and tylan, and Vet RX. But I would seperate them from the others asap, cause if it is siuntitus, it will spread. Good luck.

we looked up the coryza and we neither one feel that is what this is. there is no smell at all other than the continual linger of poo
wink.png
. we even got close and still no smell. i helped him treat with vetRx and they seem to feel better in the heat of the day, but he said at evening and morning time, it is pitiful. but they are all eating good. i watched him feed today. i have no idea. don't think it is sinuitis (sp?) either.

I haven't been able to come up with anything that seems to fit. Swollen watery eyes and one hen is sneezing and sounds funny when she breaths. Eating OK and perks up in the heat of the day.

Remember to practice biosecurity with your flock. You don't want to be a carrier. Wish you and your uncle the best of luck.

Editted due to insufficient coffee when typing.

Last edited:
i had what I thought were infected chickens ( my millies I got from rescue). Checked them saw nothing at vents under wings as far as bugs, Breathing funny, swollen watery eyes, not eating tried abx were not getting better sat down one day petting one and thinking about what I missed. they had been quarentined and were healthy and vibrant for over a month other chickens were not affected. happenned to ruffle up her neck feathers up near her head and there was a walking carpet of bugs!!!!! They were biting her constantly ( accounting for the swollen eyes) the other millie had them also. i had to use sevin which I avoid at all cvosts usually dusted them dusted the coop and now they are back to normal! erinm

I would hate to try to minimize this just in case, but it isnt just that the coop they are kept in is dirty at all? Sometimes chickens are more sensitive to dirty or even wet litter. You dont have pictures, do you?

Quote:
his coop is very clean, he cleans it daily. and today it is much better. the swelling is down and he can actually open both eyes. the hen is better too. no other chickens are affected. wonder if the weather or pollen could have something to do with it?

oh and erinm, bugs is the first thing i checked for. all clear.

and yes, ridgerunner, i am very much on top of biosecurity. dont want my chicks to be sick.

thanks all for your great advice. maybe it was just weather related.

Back
Top Bottom