T-Day Turkey Carcass

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
I read a short time ago of someone giving the leftover turkey carcass from Thanksgiving dinner to the chickens. Is there any danger of them choking or other problems with doing that?

I know chickens are omnivores but before I give them today's leftover turkey bones, I want to make sure it's ok.

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving @NorthFLChick
big_smile.png

Personally feeding bird meat to birds seem so wrong to me, but... there is no real harm in feeding them leftovers. The only things you would need to be very concerned about is:

* Small bones can get picked up, swallowed, and lodged in the throat. Be careful to remove these before giving the carcass.
* Meat can start spoiling if left at unrefrigerated temperatures for more than 3 hours. So make sure what you give them can be eaten and cleaned up quickly.

Personally, I boil down the carcass on simmer for several hours, strain and save the liquid for soup base or flavoring, pick off any meat remnants to freeze for future casseroles and soups.

Happy Thanksgiving @NorthFLChick
big_smile.png

Personally feeding bird meat to birds seem so wrong to me, but... there is no real harm in feeding them leftovers. The only things you would need to be very concerned about is:

* Small bones can get picked up, swallowed, and lodged in the throat. Be careful to remove these before giving the carcass.
* Meat can start spoiling if left at unrefrigerated temperatures for more than 3 hours. So make sure what you give them can be eaten and cleaned up quickly.

Personally, I boil down the carcass on simmer for several hours, strain and save the liquid for soup base or flavoring, pick off any meat remnants to freeze for future casseroles and soups.

That's what I've done in past years. I'll have to think about it some more...I have time, our turkey is still in the oven
big_smile.png

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours @Free Spirit !

That's what I've done in past years. I'll have to think about it some more...I have time, our turkey is still in the oven
big_smile.png

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours @Free Spirit !

I butchered my bird in September because it was getting so big. I took it out and put in fridge to thaw Saturday night and it's still quite frozen so my Thanksgiving will be this weekend
wink.png
. I'll have to finish thawing in the kitchen sink under cool water. I could cook it tomorrow but it's my birthday tomorrow and I won't slave in the kitchen on my B-Day, plus it's expected to storm and don't want to have a bird in the oven if we lose power. It's just me and my hubby anyway.

If I don't get to boiling the carcass right away I just stick it into the freezer until I have more time.

Happy Thanksgiving,
-Free Spirit

I butchered my bird in September because it was getting so big. I took it out and put in fridge to thaw Saturday night and it's still quite frozen so my Thanksgiving will be this weekend
wink.png
. I'll have to finish thawing in the kitchen sink under cool water. I could cook it tomorrow but it's my birthday tomorrow and I won't slave in the kitchen on my B-Day, plus it's expected to storm and don't want to have a bird in the oven if we lose power. It's just me and my hubby anyway.

If I don't get to boiling the carcass right away I just stick it into the freezer until I have more time.

Happy Thanksgiving,
-Free Spirit

Happy early birthday to you!

That must be one big bird to still be frozen, lol. Whenever you do have your Thanksgiving, I hope it's a good one
smile.png
And that your power stays on!

Happy early birthday to you!

That must be one big bird to still be frozen, lol. Whenever you do have your Thanksgiving, I hope it's a good one
smile.png
And that your power stays on!
Thank you. It's only 27lbs but can only fit on the lowest shelf in the fridge which also happens to be the coldest spot. So it's thawing pretty slowly. The legs and thighs are already thawed just waiting on the rest of it.

Thank you. It's only 27lbs but can only fit on the lowest shelf in the fridge which also happens to be the coldest spot. So it's thawing pretty slowly. The legs and thighs are already thawed just waiting on the rest of it.

LOL, "only 27 lbs"...that's more than twice what ours was (13 lbs.). You are going to have a ton of meat come off that bird!

Back
Top Bottom