T or F? Any bird fitting APA SOP is SQ

The term "Show Quality" is so often thrown around any more that it doesnt meen much to me.I get a laugh out of some of the listings I see selling show quality birds.I do believe that alot of the standards are very open to interpretation.Moderately spread to one person may be seen as wide spread to another,or fiery orange may be red or orange to another.You really just have to breed toward the standard as you see it,And hope the judge looks at it the same way.I have seen in a double show where a bird will place best of breed in the first show under one judge and not place in the top five in the second show under a different judge.You just have to put the best bird out there that you believe in.

Interesting debate, but may I suggest less abbreviations as they confuse the likes of me
hide.gif

I'm just speaking from experience, but breeding (for any animal) also comes down to personal preference. I have noticed that different lines of Ameruacana bantams look different. I think personal aesthetic also plays a role in what we breed for. We are all breeding to the standard but differently. No matter how strict it may be. Like I can show you hens from Blehm, Segler, Beck, and my own and show you the difference. Some breed bigger but with in weight standards. Some breed for the smaller ones. Some breeders have taller combed birds and some have really tight combs. Both meet the standard. I had a judge tell me that he liked the taller comb in my Lavender rooster (Blehm) than my Brown Red cockerel (Segler who in my opinion has the better comb because its small and tight). I think that the judge uses their own personal aesthetic when picking a winner as well. When I think of the perfect Ameraucana hen it may differ from someone elses. I don't think writting the standard any stricter will change it.

Quote:
What is he then? I don't understand your point.

He is Not Golden but looks like one, so one can show him and place first place and No one but yourself will know the difference....
wink.png

Quote:
What is he then? I don't understand your point.

He is Not Golden but looks like one, so one can show him and place first place and No one but yourself will know the difference....
wink.png

That happens far too often the use of a bird for show purposes that has no opportunity to reproduce its likeness but gets the showman his points and allows him to sell the bird for 100's. The idea of selling "Show Quality Day olds" I still want someone to explain that one as every line has culls and the birds that are placing in teh shows with valid competition (50+ birds) of the variety and 150+ of breed and still take best of breed for a reason other than politics or teh showmans name on the box under the coop, thats a "Show Bird" but the day old no way, its a chick with potential.

Acceptance of Blue Golden Duckwing based patterns can reproduce itself no more than 12.5% of the time when breed to birds that meet the standard description. the Females actually belong to another accepted variety and are allowed to be shown as Golden although they cannot genetically cannot be gold.

Quote:
Acceptance of Blue Golden Duckwing based patterns can reproduce itself no more than 12.5% of the time when breed to birds that meet the standard description. the Females actually belong to another accepted variety and are allowed to be shown as Golden although they cannot genetically cannot be gold.

The funny thing is... cream can be of a less head ache in terms of breeding than True Golden...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom