Table Scraps???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissBay, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    My chickens are about 3 months old. Can I feed them left overs like a veggies , fruit , cheese, ext.?
    I had a hot pocket and i was about to feed it to them when I stopped to think if it was good for them.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ooh, not a Hot Pocket, its not good for you either! LOL

Try to keep your scraps to healthy ones, vegies, raw, or cooked, but without added salts etc.

Bread, crackers, seeds, fruits, (mine love grapes, apples...and pomegranate seeds etc...) they don't like bananas or citrus.

If you doubt, don't feed it...here is a link to a "treat" site.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

3. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    i have been feeding them treats since they were a week old. started with the basics like yogurt and eggs, then when they were about 4 weeks old started doing some greens, grapes, melon rinds....now they are over 6 weeks we give them most of our leftovers....they LOVE hot dogs.

we also give them alot of worms and bugs. our chicks are pretty spoiled.

4. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Mine love chicken....how sad [​IMG], hot dogs, almost every fruit but blueberries. They hate green beans, onions and green peppers. Other than that they eat just about everything! They are 8 -9 weeks old.

5. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Ours LOVE corn on the cob, even the "empty" cob after we're done eating the corn, they also like cabbage and watermelon. They also like yellow rice and strawberry tops, as well as weeds out of our garden.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  6. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

You should check out the list of what not to feed chickens Please no onions beans need to be cooked and salt can kill them.
    Please make sure they have grit also. There are lists for plants that they can not eat also. Please be careful don't want a accidents to happen.[​IMG]
    You can try spaghetti my girls fight over it. They wear it as jewelry and tail adornments they play tug or war with it. Fun to watch.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Quote:I cut a small watermelon in half a few nights ago, gave it to my human children and when they were done, took it out to the run. A fewnhours later I went to check on them and the halves were picked clean. I could have used those two halves as bowls! Needless to say my girls love watermelon. They also eat chicken noodle soup and just about anything else I bring them from our table.

8. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:You know, I wonder if chickens like spaghetti so much because they enjoy the taste, or because it looks like worms, lol????!!!!

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Favorite treats for my crew include leftover couscous, leftover cooked rice, plain spaghetti, chopped apples, watermelon, dandelion greens, lettuce, spinach, clover, and shredded meat. They weren't fond of scrambled eggs, would never touch yogurt (although I haven't tried that since they were a couple of weeks old), and turn up their little beaks at dried mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by