Take obese children from parent's custody?

Say, here's an idea. EVERYONE should pay their own way and not expect to receive services they do not pay for. Then they can be as fat or as thin as they please. Can smoke, eat, or drink what they please. Can sit on their butts all day long in front of the television or computer as they please. Complete liberty resulting from taking complete responsibility for the decisions they made or did not make as to how to live their lives.

You can tell the government to bugger off when they try to intrude on your rights and liberties because you will have undertaken complete responsibility for your life by not expecting to receive anything you did not pay in full for.

How about that?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
X2!!!! this it was it boils down to. in 99% of cases

x3!!!

Quote:
I would never intend to mean always. There are medical issues, and I do believe genetics play a role (although I think that's overused as an excuse - because I've met many big boned people who aren't "fat"), but I do believe that in the majority of cases the kids are a direct reflection of their parents. I wish everyone could see the lunches that are packed for kids (by their parents) in many schools...it would blow your mind.

Last edited:
I fight all the time with my daughters school. They hold kids in for recess all the time. They really dont have recess they call them nutrition breaks and its 20 minutes to eat your lunch or snack and then they the rest of the time to play... but what happens is they give the kids 5 minutes to eat which is not healthy and then rush them out. if the child takes to long they will get held in and sent to the office and not allowed to go out and not allowed to finish their lunch. many times my daughter comes home with more then half of her lunch still in her lunch box.. they have 30 min of PE 2X a week (we had 60 min 3X a week when i was a kid)

they say we cant have this we cant have that in the schools... no fish no eggs no nuts no baked goods all because of allergies... we are left with 1 of 2 choices.. over priced over processed insant foods... or make a roast beef dinner just for the kids lunches. the have over processed over priced pizza or hot dog or subway fridays at school.. now theres healthy eating for you (contrary to what some may believe subway is NOT healthy! processed meats, processed cheese, white breads portions are out of control)

I am thankful none of my 3 kids were or overweight... but its taken a lot of hard work .. and fights.. geeze dont get me started on that one..

BUT..
my kids dont have a computer.. if they need one for homework they get to use the dinosaur computer that does not have internet access (that means no FB either
wink.png
)
they do not have a playststion or Xbox.. dad has one and it can only be played on rainy days or days where its -20*C

I am lucky I live in the country so wack jobs are far and few between for us but when i was in the city we had parks and a backyard...

ETA: my oldest son is now 19 and is considered obese by the BMI scale... is is 6'1" and weighs 250lbs... BUT he spends 12 hours a week in a gym and had a washboard stomach and its built like a brick *outhouse*
wink.png

Last edited:
As a mom, I see what other kids eat at school at lunch. My kids go with a sandwich or burrito, or leftover homemade pizza, a fruit and a veggie... and maybe a pack of fruit snacks or a fruit roll up. They come home hungry, and can have fruit, cheese stick, or a carrot... maybe chips (regular tortilla chips) once or twice a week, and then they eat dinner, which consists of a meat (or tofu) a veggie, maybe a roll or some pasta, and a minimal dessert, like frozen lemonade (home-frozen in a tiny popsicle thing)... other kids at school bring entire rolls of Oreo cookies in their lunch, really. no wonder those kids are fat. I know one kid who eats chips and salsa for dinner... every night... Her mom was telling me how much she loves chips for dinner, and I said "what about protein?" and she said "Well, we had salsa!".... oh dear...

A.T. Hagan :

Say, here's an idea. EVERYONE should pay their own way and not expect to receive services they do not pay for. Then they can be as fat or as thin as they please. Can smoke, eat, or drink what they please. Can sit on their butts all day long in front of the television or computer as they please. Complete liberty resulting from taking complete responsibility for the decisions they made or did not make as to how to live their lives.

You can tell the government to bugger off when they try to intrude on your rights and liberties because you will have undertaken complete responsibility for your life by not expecting to receive anything you did not pay in full for.

How about that?

I don't think many folks would like that at all...LOL!!
tongue.png
If it's too logical - we don't like it...​

My 12 year old son is overweight, but is very active - always outdoors playing - running, riding, shooting hoops, playing neighborhood games, he's also on several sports teams - baseball, basketball, touch football. He eats normal portions (although admittedly, his food choices could be better, he is not a fruit or vegetable fan). Everyone in my family has weight issues. I lost 80 lbs once, but I had to eat 1200 calories (or less) a day and work out 2-3X a day. The day I started eating normally and exercising normally, the pounds crept back on. His dad is thin, however my son obviously got my genes!
If someone even hinted I was a neglectful parent and tried to take him from me, I would break them in half.

Quote:
I would never intend to mean always. There are medical issues, and I do believe genetics play a role (although I think that's overused as an excuse - because I've met many big boned people who aren't "fat"), but I do believe that in the majority of cases the kids are a direct reflection of their parents. I wish everyone could see the lunches that are packed for kids (by their parents) in many schools...it would blow your mind.

I know what you meant - was jsut saying - playing the other side i guess. My mom was a diabetic and dad was am amateur body builder - so they were conscious of that sort of thing. I was the fluke - skinny family genetics

I believe it's not up to the schools to 'raise the kids', but their policies can help or hinder parents in creating healthy kids and healthy eating habits.

Back
Top Bottom