Take obese children from parent's custody?

KenK, the choice becomes harder when one does things like cut out factory farmed meat for whatever reason. I believe the last time I bought tyson's was a few years ago. I became too frustrated at meat that smelled powerfully of mayo, and chicken breasts that somehow managed to have the breast meat marbeled with fat. As I recall, one of those very sales was the end of it for me. The entire package had to be thrown out as it was bad.
sickbyc.gif

But regardless, lettuce (one of the varieties that have some nutritional value), beets, tomatoes (vine being the cheapest usually), nuts, oranges oh gosh, berries, etc. cost much more than Doritos and frozen burritos Many poor people do buy a lot of rice and beans, but that is not a nutritionally complete diet. I know from personal experience scurvy is the next stop there. Now that we have a bit more financial security, we can buy more of these things. We can even get blueberries at a local chain for 1 to 3 dollars depending on the week, where as the cheapest chain sells them starting at 4.50. That said, those savings would be negated by gas money were it further out. Sales are great, but they are not dependable, and they do not save you money if you are driving around wide distances to pick up enough sale items to fill the fridge. I think that is sometimes forgotten.

Last edited:
It is a problem.

But has a lot of causes.

First TV: How many junk food commercials are on in kids programming? What about all those cute little juice/lunch snacks? Your kid can eat great at home and once they hit school their friends will have sacks of those things. From sweet cereals to snack lunches, they are quick easy and convenient and horrible for our health. Parents working to support the "needs/toys" also means that no one is home planning and making healthy meals.

Second: Staying indoors, be it worries about traffic, air quality or strangers many parents would rather know that their child is safe at home-even when it is is in front of the TV or Screen. Also, if both parents are working to make a living, then it is better to know your child is at home than out running around and at the end of the day, parents are tired too. Youth sports teams are expensive too. And if they have a fundraiser to help pay for the team, your usually out selling candy-go figure.

Third: Family education. Kids need to be exposed to good things to eat, Parents need to learn what pots and pans are for and quick easy recipes that taste good need to be featured more.

But yes, there are parents who just do not get it. My former SIL would feed her daughter a tub of frosting or a can of spray cheese. Right before she was taken away from mom, the little girl looked more like the micheline tire man than a little girl. She could not walk until she was almost 3 because of her weight. Mom had issues! And dad did too! And yes, some one should have stepped in prior to when they did to say wait this is just plain wrong.

I have a friend with a child that has a medical issue that causes weight gain. But she feeds her crap too, good news she is saving a ton of money with coupons <eye roll> There is a real disconnect in what good to eat vs what is good for you to eat

We ate a whole lot of beans, rice and cheap hamburger/chicken meat when I was growing up. We also grew a garden and ate from that. We had a television but we weren't allowed to sit around and watch it a lot. I played outside most of the time. Now, we lived in the country and it was safer. I understand you cannot let your kids run wild in the city or other dangerous areas. That is where a lot of calories pile up.
sad.png

Sodas and candy were treats and we got them sometimes. Beans were always cheaper than junk food. I am only 28, so it wasn't sixty years ago this was going on. Did I always want to eat beans and hamburger when it was served? No. I did it because the other option was hunger, LOL. We had a lot of
pop.gif
too though. The kind you have to actually measure out and pop on the stove, LOL.

I was always solid muscle and thin--my sisters were not as thin though. We had a lot of the same eating habits. Well, I actually ate a lot more than them, must be a metabolism thing. It sometimes comes down to genetics or not having the money and sometimes its laziness. BUT, when I see parents letting their kids eat mostly fast food, sodas and crap and their kids are way really overweight, it makes me ill. A lot of these "poor" parents have new cell phones, Internet, cable, get governmental help AND have family and friends helping them. I'm sorry but many of them CAN afford to eat better, they're just too lazy or won't educate themselves about better choices.

To buy a soda pop here it costs nearly 2.00, a bit less for generic, for a 20 ounce. To buy the makings for sweet tea costs like 3.00. That makes many, MANY gallons of tea. Same thing with koolaid. And its made with sugar so it IS better for you than soda pop.

I come from both sides of the tracks and I have seen many sides of the story.

I am NOT big on the government taking control of most things, especially family matters. I think the family and if that fails, the community is supposed to step in, at times.

And I am not talking about "fat" kids, I am talking about seriously, gonna die if they don't get help kids.

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

Say, here's an idea. EVERYONE should pay their own way and not expect to receive services they do not pay for. Then they can be as fat or as thin as they please. Can smoke, eat, or drink what they please. Can sit on their butts all day long in front of the television or computer as they please. Complete liberty resulting from taking complete responsibility for the decisions they made or did not make as to how to live their lives.

You can tell the government to bugger off when they try to intrude on your rights and liberties because you will have undertaken complete responsibility for your life by not expecting to receive anything you did not pay in full for.

How about that?

Agreed. I don't care what people do with their lives; what they choose to eat or not eat. Do I think it's sad that people make terrible choices for their health? Yes - but that's the thing.. It is THEIR health. Also don't want to pay for their hospital bills, but that's a different story.

Quote:
I agree with this as well. People judge image in regards to health. There are thin people that eat horribly, but yet they are thin. But inside their bodies? Not so healthy. There are chubby and larger people who eat balanced diets.

Growing up my brother was always stick thin, whereas I packed on the pounds, being almost 200lbs by age 12. We had the same diet for quite some time. Eventually I ate healthier and healthier, but didn't loose any until a few years ago when I started eating 'traditionally' and cutting out most processed foods. Now almost 8 years later I'm 120 lbs and 'Holocaust victim thin', or so I'm told. The BMI scale says that I'm underweight. However my entire family is thin and (somewhat) smaller statured, and I'm very healthy now.

The person (Dunkopf I believe) who said that loosing and gaining weight can be a very emotional thing was right. When I was heavy, I wouldn't get the time of day. When I was thin, people who had never spoken to me, started to. Even 'family' members. I was the exact same person, but 'suddenly' I was worth their time?

In the end, I think knowledge is power. The more healthy eating is taught, the better people will be. Not sure if that will ever happen as money can, as it seems, buy lives. There are plenty of lies within the food & ag systems.​

The fact that a doctor thought it okay to make a statement like this is astounding. Seriously? Where will this end? Let's take the fat kids away from their parents to protect them. Then let us take the kids away from smokers because the second hand smoke is bad for their health. Then we will have to take the children of people who drink because they could be the victim of a drunk driving accident. Then we will take away the children who drink raw milk and veggies straight from the garden. And then those whose parents raise chickens because they are at risk for salmonella. At some point no one will get to raise their kids and the government will have them all. Surely the government knows better than individual parents. What were we thinking to let individuals raise their kids!

This doctor very smugly said to put them in foster care, but has he any idea how FULL that system already is dealing with the kids whose parents abuse them in horrible ways? Around here they don't even take the kids whose parents are doing drugs. There isn't room. And say somehow this almighty doctor figures out a place to rehome these kids (likely into group homes where they can be carefully controlled). How shall we deal with the emotional fallout of kids ripped from loving families during their formative years? You think being fat screws them up? Let's start ripping families apart. That'll be good for the kids.
roll.png

This "big brother knows best" attitude is horrifying. How dare some arrogant doctor dictate how parents raise their kids? Is there an obesity problem in this country? Heavens, yes. Does that give the government the right to step in? No. At the moment the gov't is screwing up everything it touches. Keep your hands off the family!

How silly.
Sure, some parents are to blame. But how to know if it was a thyroid issue for the child? PCOS? Genetics? Any other of many, many health issues that might make the child hungry and/or too tired to do much exercise?
Thinking a simple doctors visit would rule all of those things out is silly, too. How many people have had trouble getting a proper diagnosis for something? How many doctors make mistakes? Ooops.. sorry kids.. sorry parents... we ruined your lives because we were wrong. And who really wants to be under that kind of microscope, anyway?

PE in school is a joke. Alot of places, theres not much in the way of requirements to be a PE teacher. The schools I went to, the teachers had no idea how to deal with kids that simply weren't as strong as the others, let alone ones who were over-burdened from weight and couldn't run. They were yelled at the whole way around the track, and this was only 10 years ago that I'm speaking of.

Not to mention the other childrens attitudes towards them. Do people stop to consider that it takes a certain level of personal confidence to play sports, to exercise... to even walk in front of others? Especially for children. Now how are those overweight kids ever going to get that confidence to exercise if they are forced to embarass themselves every week day in front of their peers? Its rediculous
roll.png

Then another point....
If people from.. ohhh... 60 years ago.. were eating the same processed food we eat today... I dont think they would have an obesity epidemic. They cooked with lard!
ep.gif
Then they *worked* for a living. Like, you know, with their bodies!
The kids too, came home to help out on the farm, around the house, whatever.
Sure, good parents out there have chores for their kids... but how much physical activity do the kids even have time for after the 2 - 4 hours of 'homework' they had to bring home to do? Read 'homework' as schoolwork.. because thats what it is.. the teachers were too busy as they played games, awarded prizes for good scores, and talked of the upcoming weeks schedule to actually *Do the WORK in CLASS like they should have!*

Homeschool... Homeschool and chores... I think that is the best alternative. Plus.. then parents can't ignore their childrens problems because they can fop the kids off on other people for most of the waking hours... they can see their kids... deal with their own childrens behaviours... and theres no one at fault but themselves!

Was this doctor a government employee? I heard about it and it's a horrible idea. Having been a foster parent I can tell you it really screws kids up. They would rather be with their parents even if their parents beat them every day. I can't imagine what it would be like to say "Hey you're really obese so we're going to take you away from your family and put you on a really strict diet." A lot of people don't understand the emotional issues involved with being overweight. Whoever that doctor is he's a jerk.

Oh what I would like to say on this thread but I won't... But I will say this.

I'm 5' 9'' and weigh 180, I've struggled with weight all my life and it runs in my family. Heavy set body, big bones, and etc. I was way overweight until I went into a severe depression and lost about 50-60 because I just didn't care about anything. I have my birds because they make me happy and they even brought me out of depression! I was actually thinking of suicide when I was depressed and overweight. I didn't eat that junk food stuff at home or school because it made me feel "BLAH!" I actually refused to eat something at school at received a detention for it! My mom threatened to sue the school and they backed off because she was serious.
Anyway, I feel a lot better and I'm still on depression Meds at this time but I still have "those" kind of days once in a while.

I feel better after saying that. Carry on with your thread!
frow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom