Taking my chicken to the vet?

Sorry, I didn’t mean it’d cure/fix anything. I add it occasionally to boost the immune system. Personally I find the oregano does help relive symptoms.
I think I've read some beneficial properties on Oregano I didn't mean anything negative directed at you either. :hugs Maybe you can consider writing an article on Oregano and include studies and personal data as well? I would love to see it! ;)

Honestly, lots of things are great boost to a weakened immune system when offered on occasion as needed AND sometimes simple symptom relief helps the body rest which ultimately WILL help it recover by allowing to focus more energy fighting off the cause verses being miserable! :thumbsup

My frustration or at least what I'm trying to express is that many people (myself included) have a tendency to make that leap that some is good full time must be better. :oops: I guess my other concern since I'm stating it might be that some folks THINK relieved symptoms is illness cured, and I just find it hugely important to IDENTIFY the SOURCE first, before masking it. But sometimes (too often for me).. things don't come out exactly right.

According to my research.. no supplement should be given for more than 10 days in a row without medical advice. Now having this discussion will help to further my understanding even better as I consider WHY... THIS advice, and what is the significance of 10 days???! :pop

Hope the birds recover quickly! :fl

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. My entire flock is sneezing and has a runny nose. I had started a thread asking for help but I only got one person to reply and didn't get really any help. I have decided to just take a few of my birds to the vet to get them looked at. Long story short they have lived on play sand and I am thinking that is what is causing this. The vet wants me to bring two birds, one of my younger ones and one of my older ones. However they are different ages and not 100% integrated although they do hang out together more often now. I am going to bring my most docile older hen and then the baby with the worst symptoms which is also the most docile baby. I have a dog crate a smaller one that is darker with cut out holes in it. The vet is 30 minutes away and I take them tomorrow. Would it be ok to put them both together in that? Or no because they are different ages and my baby still gets picked on by the older girls although not as much this older girl as my others. Also if anyone has any care advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you everyone!
Does your crate have one of your dividers like some do? If not a sturdy peace of cardboard will do. Just place the chick in first and get her calm and comfy then but the older girl in. They will be able to see and hear one another for comfort but hopefully the old gal won’t be able to peck little bit if she was so inclined. Hope this helps. I also hope that the Vet is able to identify the problem and get it corrected quickly for you.

I think I've read some beneficial properties on Oregano I didn't mean anything negative directed at you either. :hugs Maybe you can consider writing an article on Oregano and include studies and personal data as well? I would love to see it! ;)

Honestly, lots of things are great boost to a weakened immune system when offered on occasion as needed AND sometimes simple symptom relief helps the body rest which ultimately WILL help it recover by allowing to focus more energy fighting off the cause verses being miserable! :thumbsup

My frustration or at least what I'm trying to express is that many people (myself included) have a tendency to make that leap that some is good full time must be better. :oops: I guess my other concern since I'm stating it might be that some folks THINK relieved symptoms is illness cured, and I just find it hugely important to IDENTIFY the SOURCE first, before masking it. But sometimes (too often for me).. things don't come out exactly right.

According to my research.. no supplement should be given for more than 10 days in a row without medical advice. Now having this discussion will help to further my understanding even better as I consider WHY... THIS advice, and what is the significance of 10 days???! :pop

Hope the birds recover quickly! :fl
Thanks. :hugs That's a good idea! I might just do it!

Agreed!

I understand. I learned not to give supplements full time the hard way. I apologize, I should have made that clear when I recommended supplements. :)
It's taking forever to get testing scheduled for my flock, which is why I started supplementing. They seemed so miserable. I planed on getting testing done regardless of the effects the supplements had.

Huh. You'd think it depended on the supplement. I have no idea what the significance of 10 days is.
I do know that oregano kills both good and bad bacteria, which is why I like to follow up with the ACV. If I remember correctly, the "mother" has probiotics and good cultures.
I normally supplement for about 5 days, then give plain water for about 5 days.

Same here!

Hello, hope your flock is feeling better! I agree with the cardboard idea in the crate. Sadly for me, in order to see a vet it's a one hour drive there and another hour back. Also it's considered a exotic pet so $150 just to see the vet, $45 exam fee per animal and then whatever treatment cost is. All after calling around 20 vet offices before I even found one that will see birds. Not even the livestock vets in my area see birds, only large animals.

Because of this I do tons of research on the symptoms, ask here. We also give vetrx, acv and probiotics. The reason you don't want to give more than 10 days of anything like that is because their bodies will stop producing it naturally. Also the body adapts making treatment ineffective. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. :hugs That's a good idea! I might just do it!

Agreed!

I understand. I learned not to give supplements full time the hard way. I apologize, I should have made that clear when I recommended supplements. :)
It's taking forever to get testing scheduled for my flock, which is why I started supplementing. They seemed so miserable. I planed on getting testing done regardless of the effects the supplements had.

Huh. You'd think it depended on the supplement. I have no idea what the significance of 10 days is.
I do know that oregano kills both good and bad bacteria, which is why I like to follow up with the ACV. If I remember correctly, the "mother" has probiotics and good cultures.
I normally supplement for about 5 days, then give plain water for about 5 days.

Same here!
Hi! Newbie chicken owner- why is it bad to supplement everyday? Also everyone! The vet visit went well! I put them in the same crate and they ended up snuggling and being adorable! The vet gave me rooster booster and told me to remove the sand. She is going to call me in a few days and if they don’t improve then give me antibiotics to give the whole flock! I feel much better and hopefully this will help them! Apparently there is a disease associated with having chickens in play sand and it’s actually really bad for them so to whom ever above said play sand is fine I had a vet tell me it’s not!! So be sure your babies aren’t in it! I also had them do a fecal and check for parasites just cuz and they are parasite free!! Yay!!

Hi! Newbie chicken owner- why is it bad to supplement everyday? Also everyone! The vet visit went well! I put them in the same crate and they ended up snuggling and being adorable! The vet gave me rooster booster and told me to remove the sand. She is going to call me in a few days and if they don’t improve then give me antibiotics to give the whole flock! I feel much better and hopefully this will help them! Apparently there is a disease associated with having chickens in play sand and it’s actually really bad for them so to whom ever above said play sand is fine I had a vet tell me it’s not!! So be sure your babies aren’t in it! I also had them do a fecal and check for parasites just cuz and they are parasite free!! Yay!!
Well, I’m no expert, but I’ve heard not to before. I can see why not for oregano and antibiotics (they kill both bad and good bacteria), but perhaps not probiotics daily so the body doesn’t stop producing it? I’m not sure. It seemed to result in liquidy droppings when I supplemented with probiotics daily. I no longer give them daily.

Aw, that’s great. I’m glad it went well.

Ok. Did he tell you how often to offer the Rooster Booster?

Did the vet do any testing for respiratory diseases? Removing the sand may help, and maybe it’s the cause, but I’ve never heard of it causing a disease. However, I’m not a vet, so I could be wrong.

I’m hoping for the best for you and your flock!

It’s great they’re parasite free.

Well, I’m no expert, but I’ve heard not to before. I can see why not for oregano and antibiotics (they kill both bad and good bacteria), but perhaps not probiotics daily so the body doesn’t stop producing it? I’m not sure. It seemed to result in liquidy droppings when I supplemented with probiotics daily. I no longer give them daily.

Aw, that’s great. I’m glad it went well.

Ok. Did he tell you how often to offer the Rooster Booster?

Did the vet do any testing for respiratory diseases? Removing the sand may help, and maybe it’s the cause, but I’ve never heard of it causing a disease. However, I’m not a vet, so I could be wrong.

I’m hoping for the best for you and your flock!

It’s great they’re parasite free.
huh interesting about the probiotics! Good to know! And no she didn't tell me how long to give the rooster booster but she did give it to me in a pill bottle so I am assuming a gallon with it daily until I run out? She is going to call me to ask for an update in a few days and then she will decide if she wants to give me antibiotics to treat them with. I can ask he about the Rooster Booster then. She did not do any testing for respiratory infections because it is 200$ to do a culture and I preferably am hoping this will fix it and that wont be necessary. Its really expensive so I am really hoping it wont be needed.

Back
Top Bottom