Taking the plunge

Hornetkc5

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Oakwood
So the nice neighbor boy who was in 4h dropped off a still air Little giant bator. My daughter got me caught up in chickens she hatched them at school and brought me home 50 chicks all but 12 were roos. So last year the DH wanted to add different color chickens to our flock he went out and got 24 more chicks from tsc all different colors as we only had white leghorns from the school. Then my daughters last year teacher called and said she hatched 36 more chicks and had no homes could I take them! Well I couldnt say no so I was overwhelmed with chickens by the end of the summer thank god for the huge coop the hubby made and craigslist! We weaned them down to one roo and 24 chickens the roo is a white leghorn called poppie butt named by my daughter! Now we want to attempt hatching our own this year since the neighbor gave us the bator. I just went out and bought an egg turner to go in the bator. Now what? Im gonna try to set the whole opperation up in my bedroom tonight any suggestions are appreciated! I want to get 12 new hens to add to the new coop we are about to build! If all goes well we might get into different breeds as the daughter is great with the chickens she is 10 and it is her business! She sells eggs and does pretty well! LOL I have to buy them too shes nothing but buisness!

Just set it up. After its been going for a little while check to be sure the temperture is around 99 to 100 degrees. Also test to see if you can keep the humidity around 45% then you will raise it to 65% the last three days. If all goes well you should have alot of pretty chickens that lay well. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Ok temp was 102 when I got home from work 102 when I woke up at 4am! Humidity is 50 all day long says the hubby hes been a checking! Yesterday on here I found a great reply from someone on this board about a dry bator until day 18. Darn wish I saved it! Talked about the fish therm. from wally world etc. Great info maybe someone will chime in!

big_smile.png
19 eggs in the bator all with the point down sure wish my black hens would of gave me more then one egg in the last two days! At least that is who I think is laying the pretty off color huge eggs! Really hoping for at least 6 hens anyleft overs I have a home for already! Thinking positive here as its my first hatch ever! My daughter is pretty excited and you know I am!

:lol:As some may know I moved to IL from RI with my family and went from city/beach girl to country/pasture girl in 2 years never having animals etc. Well the hubby says I turned a complete 360 and now he has married a hillbilly! Last night he went into the closet to get his clothes out for work and noticed the bator in there!
big_smile.png
He says OMG I have to get you back home quick cause now you've gone redneck growing chickens in our closet! HaHa

I've never been so carefree out here in the country with no neighbors would'nt change it for the world! Thankyou to any input you all have been great and its nice to finally meet some friends out here in the midwest!

Back
Top Bottom