Taking turner out of incubator

danarae1

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2016
I have eggs from several different days. I know to take the turner out a day 18, but what about the eggs from one and three days later?

my best results were to take the egg turner out, continue turning the others by hand a couple times a day. make sure you mark the eggs with maybe an X on each side the eggs, so you can tell where to turn them. The others will hatch and dry like normal.I've done this a few times, I'm no expert but it works for me. even with the egg turner, I mark my eggs with X's on each side just to be safe ( in case they hatch at different times..hope this helps you...:)

did you set them all in the incubator together at the same time(day). they should all hatch together if so..

I have eggs from several different days. I know to take the turner out a day 18, but what about the eggs from one and three days later?

How would that work when you have to pump up the humidity at lockdown? Will it effect the eggs that are a few days behind?

A few days at the end, turning is not as critical as in the beginning. Depending on how stable your humidity is, I'd probably just raise the humidity, and leave the few that are behind without being turned the last few days, especially if you have trouble keeping humidity up.

ETA - some folks stop turning on day 14 as general practice.

Last edited:
A few days at the end, turning is not as critical as in the beginning. Depending on how stable your humidity is, I'd probably just raise the humidity, and leave the few that are behind without being turned the last few days, especially if you have trouble keeping humidity up.

ETA - some folks stop turning on day 14 as general practice.
I am one of those folks...lol

It's true, technically eggs don't NEED to be turned after day 14. I do my last turn (not including handling to candle of course..lol) at the end of day 13.

As for the question from Marlene about the humidity, yes it can affect them, (one of the biggest reasons I don't do staggered hatches,) it all depends on how well the others have lost moisture up to the point the humidity is raised (how long after you have to "dry" them back out, and how far behind the others are. Many people successfully do staggered hatches regularly with good rates. I personally don't like it because you really can't give the optimal environment to all the eggs at the times they need it- however, eggs/chicks are pretty resilient and often manage just fine.

Back
Top Bottom