Talk to me about isolating for bio-security... (From a newbie)

SoManyHats

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Winchester, VA
Okay, so hubby and I want to bring in a rooster for our six chickens who are scared to be out in the yard without one of us with them. But we are having a debate over isolating the rooster first. He works with a lot of guys who own chickens, and none of them isolate, and none have ever had problems. One coworker said the only time he's known someone to isolate is when the chicken is being rescued from a bigAg facility. Sooo... show of hands - who here actually isolates new birds every time? What is your procedure? If we choose not to isolate, is there anything that can be done beforehand to reduce the risk to our girls?

if u seen what i have been going throu you would most def. isolate for at least a month. i think if u go to roo boys site or post u hubby will change his mind. i am losing a lot of my show chickens just from walking through a chicken swap. anytime u buy unknown u run the risk of contaminating ur whole flock causing sickness or death

I have a closed flock, so I don't have to deal with this. But check out the thread "what do you wish you'd known before you got chickens".....most of the posts are about quarantine and wishing they'd done it.

Back
Top Bottom