Talked to Dr at UC DAVIS Meraks

ok I don't plan to get anymore pullets till the spring, by then we will only have the strong survivors. Not sure the method to let the new pullets acquire immunity slowly, but I can worry about that come spring because I really would wnat/like to have all the girls in the same coop/run...will that be possible

41441_5.jpg

If you vaccinate as day old chicks before they have had any exposure to the outdoors or older birds and properly quarantine them for at least ten days, they will have immunity and will NOT be shedding the virus. The strict quarantine is just as important as the vaccine. Sanitize all equipment before any of it is near the chicks. Don't wear the same clothes or shoes near the chicks that you just wore in the coop. Wash your hands before handling them. The vaccine virus is not the same virus as the actual Marek's virus. It's just close enough to cause immunity. The vaccinated birds that get some immunity but contract the virus and become carriers are the ones that weren't properly quarantined. If they are exposed before the vaccine has caused complete immunity, they will still contract the virus. Those birds will have enough immunity to ward off symptoms, but will be shed the virus and be carriers. QUARNTINE, QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE!!!!!!

The best method for disinfecting for any disease is to use Oxine and a fogger. This way the oxine can get in all the nooks and crannies. The mareks vaccine spreads mostly through feather dander, but spreads through body fluids also.

Freezing and thawing repeatedly also will kill the virus. (empty coop during winter)

Cheryl,

I do understand how you are feeling about this. I just haven't had to come up against this particular issue.

It is hard to lose a fellow flock member and after all that is what most of us feel.

You have my sympathy for your loses and my best wishes for the speedy and successful recovery of your flock.

David

Thank you...all we wanted was a fun coop and healthy girls. We've worked so hard to give them the best and provide healthy treats and perfect foods/water. I love them so much and I know for sure another one will die soon.

Marek's is shed in feather dander mostly, and birds get exposed to it mostly via inhalation of the dander. So anywhere the wind blows, people walk, chickens fly ect will have the virus. It is fairly hardy in the environment, but sanitation can really help if the thing you are trying to sanitize is non porous (metal, ceramic ect). It is fairly ineffective to try to disinfect organic material (unsealed wood, dirt, unsealed concrete). Moving a coop to the other side of the property is not helpful. Your bet bet IMO is cull symptomatic/suspect birds. Consider culling all of the birds from the bad source. Only bring in older pullets that are properly vaccinated (meaning vaccinated prior to exposure to actual Mareks, and kept away from the actual virus for several weeks or (better) longer). Older meaning over 4-5months old, after they have some age related immunity. Unvaccinated day old chicks are the worst thing to bring in. If you want to bring in chicks, hatch and vaccinate them yourself, or purchase vaccinated chicks from a hatchery- raise them far away from your existing flock and coop. Like in your house, or at friends house. Practice good disease control measures- hand washing, changing shoes, consider changing clothes ect.

Back
Top Bottom