Talon removal?!?

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Im kidding, I wouldnt remove the talons, but can you safely cut duck claws? My male donald doesnt care if hes picked up. He just goes limp. My female though.....woah, she is a wild B**ch when being handled. Claws go a'flayling. I took both of them to the bathtub today for the first time (3 weeks old) and she cut up my arm and hand something awful.

Can you cut them with nail clippers, just to prevent attempted murder by duck?

You sure can but be careful! dont cut them too short (just remove the tips and maybe file them down a bit with an emeryboard.)

Emily

You will live if you get scratched a little. If you make a mistake, you might tore off its talon completely and it won't grow back. Just don't pick them up, I picked up a male Mallard and it scratched me so hard by trying to escape that my hand actually bleed a bit, but it's healed now and you can't even see the scar.

Never thought of trimming their nails, hmm. But on the other hand I would be worried about them being able to protect themselves without their nails. I also have some skittish ducks when trying to hold them. I have learned that if you pick them up by holding their bodies closer to their legs they don't kick and scratch so much. Also, if you support their feet they seem to be happier while you are holding them. I think alot of it has to do with making them feel secure.

I agree with julie75, my ducks don't like when their feet dangle when I'm holding them. I don't usually get stratched when I put my hand under their feet. You can also hold them sitting down and that should help. Also, like with anything, the more you hold them the less they'll freak out and try to get away (resulting in big red scratches all down your arms!
hmm.png
).

Back
Top Bottom