Taming a Rooster?

I’ve discussed culling him a few times with my husband and he’s very hesitant to do it. I’m worried that come summertime when I’m outside with my 2 year old that he will fly out of the fenced in area, and that’s the last thing I need is to have to worry about my son getting attacked.
I had adopted a real mean rooster without knowing his personality. He was so mean that he would attack anybody at any time. My kids stopped going out of the house. One day I was picking up eggs from the floor and heard some rustling. When I turned my back, that rooster was in the air exactly like "Karate Kid". That's the time I grabbed him and put him in a box to give away. The run is predator proof with steel roof and stuff... Nice food and clean water everyday. On top 14 beautiful chickens. If some guy had adopted me and provided shelter and food for me... Top it off with 14 women... I'd be his eternal slave :lol::lol::lol:

Please don’t kick or hit your cockerels, even if they are attacking you.

Apart from the very real possibility that you will easily cause physical harm to the bird

It aggravates the situation and makes the bird take a mental note that the next time he sees you he needs to attack and win. Think about cock fights... they fight to the death regardless. They keep attacking when they are nearly dead. So inflicting pain on the bird has the opposite effect to what you hope to achieve.

Dominating through carrying him around under your arm and also carrying him upside down by his legs is all you’ve got really. Also the not allowing him to mount the females in front of you.

I had an aggressive cockerel for a few years raised from an egg which was why I was very fond of him.... but the behaviour was very tiresome and even the dog couldn’t escape his onslaughts. The chickens were rehomed eventually and I would be surprised if he had not made it into the pot by now as the new keepers didn’t have the emotional attachment I did

I have had chickens for around 50 years, both show birds and production birds, unfortunately you will probably not be able to salvage your beautiful rooster. The best advice is to raise up several stags and keep the correct personality type. I have had roosters that are extremely gentle, they would even let a small chick set under them, and yet keep all of his hens fertile, he would risk his life for the flock, and tolerate any one in his pen with him and his hens. So it is all in the genetics. I hope you have a successful venture in finding a more gentle male you can enjoy.

My “mean” rooster experience.
I have only had chickens for a year and am working with a specific breed. I babied my roosters as a chicks and onward. They were sweet hearts with me, until they got moved into breeding hens. They would fight me to the death to protect their hens. To them, I’m another chicken. To see what would happen, each rooster was separated and had to deal with just me again. Both went back to being sweet. Both returned to jerks upon return to their hens. Correct me if wrong, but this tells me I raised them wrong. This year’s chicks get taken care of but ignored. I don’t pick them up and tame them. When I walk into their grow out pen, they scatter. I want any Roos in there to fear me instinctively but not from abuse, just lack of personal touch.
Using a stick, or a boot or anything on a mean rooster does NOT work. I have tried everything with my two. They see those actions as you wanting to fight and they will continue fighting you. When mine push my space I pick them up. Do not do this unless you have adequate clothes on. Your child will never be safe around a rooster protecting hens. Never. I have gotten bruises and I was wearing thick insulated gloves.
I dont think my Roos are genetically mean. I think I just didn’t raise them right. They come from a sound breeding program. So I’m starting over and raising this years different.
Sorry for long post, I just wanted to stress using a boot or stick will make them worse not better. They think that is just how you fight and they will not back down from a fight.

I can only share my own experience. It may not work for you.
When my boy reached puberty he suddenly changed from my sweetheart to ninja warrior. After reading so many variations of how to train him I realised his hormones dictated that he must protect his ladies from all threats. Considering that my run is second only to fort knox (ok maybe not but I've had no predator problems YET) the poor boy had no idea what he was destined to protect his ladies from. The only non-chicken creature that invaded their space was me, therefore I must be the thing his hormones were driving him to chase away. For awhile I tried carrying him. Then I tried the *push him to the ground, pinch the back of his neck, push his head to the ground, hold him till he lays still, all in front of his ladies* method. I'm still not positive this contributed to my goal but I won't discount it. What did seem to be the final method was to ignore him, he doesn't exist. I started this by stopping moving forward when he would approach but never ever back away. I didn't look at him directly but I monitored his movements. If he jumped at me I stood my ground without flailing at him, as if there was nothing happening. Once he realised he was having no effect and that I wasn't accepting his challenge to fight he stopped. I'd move forward without trying to avoid him. If he doesn't exist there is nothing to avoid, so I moved right on through. Yes he would jump again and I'd repeat the process. It took awhile but eventually he gave up. Now I go in the run, he joins the ladies in greeting me at the door and follows me to where I scatter treats. Once in a rare blue moon he will "fluff" at me, a jump that makes no contact, as if to remind me he is the boss. Then he ignores me. I must add that it was probably after his first molt that he finally started ignoring me.
Now as for hubby...he still feels the need to protect himself by shooing my big boy away with hands or feet. Roopecca sees this as accepting the challenge. Hubby gets bit. He just doesn't get how I just walk through.
Here's the thing. Your cockerel is young and doesn't yet know what is needed but is driven to supply whatever it is. Once he learns you aren't on his list of things to protect the ladies from he should calm down. This won't be true for all cockerels, some are just mean. Give him a year from puberty onset to learn. You may have a wonderful rooster. If not you can have a wonderful Sunday dinner.
Good luck!

The most important traits of a "good" rooster is how he interacts with the hens. No overmating, no chasing hens down to mate, shows them where to lay eggs, lets them eat first, tidbits when I bring snacks, and when he finds something good while foraging calls them over.

Those who think that it's beneficial to fight a rooster back by kicking them back, you are just bringing yourself to his level, as a big rooster. Same with not letting him mate hens in front of you. To push him off the hen is what another rooster would do.

My roosters understand that I am the caretaker of the entire flock. They have their role, and I have mine.

I HIGHLY recommend reading this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-becomes-dinner.844018/page-4#post-12626931
before you even think about stepping back into "enemy territory." It's an article about "Rooster Speak," written a few years ago by @Beekissed. It's saved quite a few roosters' lives and helped maintain the peace in many a flock ... including my own! Make sure anyone entering the coop/run reads and follows it, too. You'll probably be able to keep your gorgeous rooster - and the skin on your legs and hands, as well!
In your boy's defense, an overprotective rooster who learns his people-manners is often an excellent flock protector. Good Luck! And please, keep us posted ...

I love my rooster. He is so sweet. I’m not sure if it is genetics or how I deal with him. During the day, I talk to him, but leave him alone while he is working. After every one roosts for the night, I go into the coop. I sing to my flock and pick each one up - including my rooster. At this time I check them all for parasites and injuries. Hold them a bit, then return them to where they were roosting. Not too many of them enjoy this when they are teenagers, so I just hold them longer until they don’t try to get away. Doesn’t take long before they start following me around as I clean their coop and run. While the girls are talking and following, my rooster watches the sky for hawks and talks to his girls. I’ve been there many times when he’s given his danger sound. Even the babies instinctively know to freeze and be quiet until he gives the all clear. So cool.
Sorry.... If you haven’t already, try to hold him at night, after it’s dark and he’s roosting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom