Tan eggs, now green!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsChickenPam, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MrsChickenPam

MrsChickenPam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2011
    I have 2 Araucanas, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Wyandotte and 1 Krainkoppe. All born in March, began laying in August. I get about 4 eggs a day ranging from very pale tan, to dark brown.

Today, my haul included 3 of the expected colors, and a GREEN egg!

They haven't had anything different/unusual from my kitchen leavings, and the feed is the same.

Any explanation?

Thanks!

Mrs. Chicken Pam
    so christened by my little neighbor girls who love to visit my flock

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Does your Araucana normally lay blue eggs? [​IMG] If you're getting a sudden green egg either A) your Araucana used to lay blue but now gave you a random glitch or B) you never had green or blue eggs and your "Araucana" is actually an Easter Egger / cross.

3. MrsChickenPam

Aug 18, 2011
    This is the FIRST egg that wasn't in the tan/brown range I've ever gotten! I actually think she is Ameraucana (if there is a difference). Got her from Ideal Poultry.

So..... either she's been laying all along and now the color changed (is this possible?) OR - she hasn't been laying and this is her first, which is odd since she's nearly 10 months old....

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    It sounds like you've got an easter egger in your flock (post pics of your chickies if you can), and that is way cool. [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger hen that just started laying is my thought. There can be variations in shade of shell, but a hen won't change color from brown to green.

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

THose ameracaunas are a late starting breed. I think she has just begun laying. Mine are just starting also at 10 months! Lazy birds....but I bet they will lay longer! Terri O (PS) arent blue eggs cool?

7. Quote:x2
    and am 90% sure it is "B". She just started laying. Typical for them to lay later....especially since she came of age in the winter

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:She is an Easter Egger. They don't sell Araucanas or Ameraucanas, though they keep saying they do. She probably just began laying.

9. MrsChickenPam

Aug 18, 2011
    As requested, here are some photos.... let's see if I get it right, I'm a noob!

Below is a photo of my 6 hens, one of the ones in question is in the foreground. This photo is less than a month old, they are all about 9 months in age.
    [​IMG]

And this photo is of the eggs that I have been getting (until yesterday).
    [​IMG]

And finally, yesterday's eggs:
    [​IMG]

And all this time, I thought all six girls were laying consistently! I must say, I am so tickled - I was disappointed initially that the ones that were "supposed" to be laying blue/green eggs weren't, I thought they were laying the pretty tanish/pinkish ones.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your knowledge!

Mrs. Chicken Pam
    so christened by the cute neighbor girls that love visiting my chickens

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, new layer and she's a very pretty EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by