Tape worms AGAIN!!! Here is what I did in July, what do I do NOW??

droolin.gif
I really like it when the cats leave rice on my pillow!
lau.gif

-Kathy

Mine like to sit in my computer chair. They love to eat moles in the yard, and the rice particles are proof they are doing their jobs, LOL. My vet keeps me supplied with Droncit tablets thank goodness.
We found some liquid praziquantil, it's much cheaper than the pills. If you want, I'll try to find the place we got it from.

-Kathy

Last edited:
We found some liquid praziquantil, it's much cheaper than the pills. If you want, I'll try to find the place we got it from.

-Kathy
Yes, thanks. My vet says he doesn't even treat his barn cats who have it, but in winter when mine come in they get treated. It is kind of gross.

If you are serious about tapeworm control and you still want to free-range, then you MUST break the tapeworms' cycle of reproduction. This usually means plowing, treating, liming, and laying fallow the ground upon which your chickens range. The purpose is to break the tapeworms' cycle of reproduction by controlling the intermediate hosts, things like beetles, crickets, grasshoppers, earth worms, snails, slugs, flies, etc. There are 10 or more chicken tapeworm species and each one may depend on just a single intermittent host to make it back inside your chickens to produce a new generation of tapeworms. No or very few intermittent hosts equals no or very few tapeworm infestations.

The other perspective is that tapeworms are not the most destructive internal parasite there is in chickens.

Last edited:
If you are serious about tapeworm control and you still want to free-range, then you MUST break the tapeworms' cycle of reproduction. This usually means plowing, treating, liming, and laying fallow the ground upon which your chickens range. The purpose is to break the tapeworms' cycle of reproduction by controlling the intermediate hosts, things like beetles, crickets, grasshoppers, earth worms, snails, slugs, flies, etc. There are 10 or more chicken tapeworm species and each one may depend on just a single intermittent host to make it back inside your chickens to produce a new generation of tapeworms. No or very few intermittent hosts equals no or very few tapeworm infestations.

The other perspective is that tapeworms are not the most destructive internal parasite there is in chickens.
I agree with you Chickengeorgeto. However the time and costs of tearing up and treating ones backyard or acreage simply isnt worth it, (including rotating pasture) especially when there are many other types of worms/oocysts other than tapeworms, including protozoas and flukes in the soil that can infect a chicken. A routine worming program is much easier and cheaper, including rotating wormers, will break the worms lifecycle just like in dogs and cats and other livestock.

I have been wondering about this, and as Dawg suggested, I am not sure it's a possibility for us. Right now they are set loose in my corral during the day which is about a half acre. We are in southern california, so for 10 months of the year, it is just dirt and rocks. I have about 5 hens that hop the fence daily to scavenge on our other 3 acres, mainly staying in one section of our property, but it too is very loose rocky soil most of the year.

If I get it under control this time, and it reoccurs soon, I will have to start a regular program i think......maybe I can do it by egg color as I have white brown and green/blue. Then at least I wouldn't be losing all eggs at once. I might start that now if I can't get the rest of the ladies to poop in front of me today.....so far I have only found my one cochin to have worms....maybe since she is so large my dosage wasn't high enough last time....

Back
Top Bottom