Target shopping bag

The Littles (who are now a year old!) were scared of butterflies. The Chicklets (who were hatched on 23 and 24 May) are afraid of my 6’ 4” hubby when he wears his fluorescent orange tee shirt of an evening! They absolutely freaked out last night when he walked around the corner of the garden where they were exploring a pumpkin on the vine! Screaming, flapping, flying, running maniacs!

One the other hand, the Bigs were fearless!

That target symbol is similar to what they use to scare off birds at airports.

googly-eyes.jpg

https://www.gatechecked.com/scientists-able-to-scare-away-birds-around-airport-with-googly-eyes-573

The Nerf football may have a eye on it.

I was carrying a paper shopping bag from the car, and entire flock started giving alarm calls. I went over to see what was going on, and they ran for cover while rooster still giving alarm call. Then I put down the bag (behind a wall) and they stopped the alarm calls. Looked all over the yard, and there were definitely no predators anywhere.

When I picked up the bag again, they started the alarm calls and didn't stop until I took the bag inside. Apparently this looks like a predator to chickens.

View attachment 1880172
I think you have come to a wrong conclusion.
The chickens here will give a call (you would need to sure for your chickens exactly which call they are in fact giving) if you pass close buy carrying just about any large object.
If you took that paper bag and painted out the target and attempted say 20 trials, one with a target and one without then you might just have a case to be made.
The call the chickens give here when you approach them is neither the predator call or the general alarm call.

Last edited:
My pullets run towards movements that I would have thought would scare them. The other day a stray cat came from behind the garden and ran across the lawn, and all the chickens ran after it. They also run towards my dog, when they are in the enclosed yard and dog is outside it.
They also seem to be attracted to red. Grandkids have been surrounded by chickens when they wear red.

I think you have come to a wrong conclusion.
The chickens here will give a call (you would need to sure for your chickens exactly which call they are in fact giving) if you pass close buy carrying just about any large object.
If you took that paper bag and painted out the target and attempted say 20 trials, one with a target and one without then you might just have a case to be made.
The call the chickens give here when you approach them is neither the predator call or the general alarm call.

The call they made sounded like "bokbok-BAWK! bokbokbok-BAWK!" (faster and higher pitch than egg song) I did not know there is a difference between predator call and general alarm call. What is the third call you are refering to?

Back
Top Bottom