Taste of Duck Eggs

Ok so I guess I can eat the duck eggs cool. Something make me nervous....

I ate my first duck egg this morning. It tasted fine; nothing strange. It had a firmer consistency raw and the yoke was very thick. But cooked up nice and yummy! I'm sold on duck eggs now. The four are discovering their old wash tub I put out for them to play in. Only one female has figured out how to get in and she is loving it! Flapping around and actually swimming with her feet off the ground. Funny!

I eat call duck eggs, pekin eggs, and rouen eggs. All are delicious and great for baking. They taste like chicken eggs to me honestly

I have Welsh Harlequins, and had never tasted a duck egg before mine started laying earlier this year. But now, my whole family is totally hooked on duck eggs and will never go back to the dark side!! My girls swim in a kiddie pool and eat Purina chicken feed mixed with some whole oats and black oil sunflower seeds. So, they don't eat fish which means no yucky fishy eggs. I give them free choice oyster shell instead of feeding a layer feed, which would be very bad for my drake.

I eat the duck eggs fried all the time - the secret is to cook them over a much lower temp than chicken eggs. That way they are tender and delicious. The flavor is much richer than a chicken's egg, even the free-range chicken eggs our neighbors used to give us. Since they are so large, if I boil them I put them in water to cover them by about an inch, then put on the fire. Once the water starts to boil I cover the pot and remove it from the heat. I set the timer for 15 minutes, and when it goes off I drain the eggs and then put them in ice water. This makes it easier to peel them. When I boil chicken eggs, I only let them sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. FYI - using older eggs for boiling makes them peel much easier (whether chicken eggs or duck eggs). For baking, there is no comparison to duck eggs. Cakes made with them taste so much richer and better.

And, duck eggs are more nutritious than chicken eggs. Why does anybody eat chicken eggs, I wonder?
I have a mated pair of ducks. I think they are a mix of Black Indian Runner and Cayuga. I think my 4 month old female is starting to lay. I would love to try her eggs if she is because I am allergic to chicken eggs. My problem is my 4 hens have started walking into the duck coop and laying in there as well as their own coop. The two coops are adjacent to each other. What would my duck eggs look like at first? The ones I suspect are duck eggs are a white with a slight blueish/greenish tint to them and are oblong shaped. This is my first season raising ducks. I saw my drake trying to do his thing while they were swimming today.

I have free choice Flockraiser feed for them since everyone eats everyone else's food. They don't eat much of it though because they are out in the backyard chowing down on bugs, grass, my garden plants sticking through the fence, and other goodies nature provides.

Quote:
I wondered how many of you out there actually eat your duck eggs, or if you prefer the taste of the chicken eggs? I am mildly allergic (gives me the itchies) to chicken eggs, so I can eat them, but not much and not often.

I am sick of doing egg replacers and heard that duck eggs bake up nicely, but what about a fried or scrambled egg? Do they taste good deviled? I hear that duck eggs can be rubbery, is that true? Because of a higher protein content?

Out of all the duck breeds, I like the "pretty ones" like blue swedish, but a breeder told me that Pekin ducks were best for production and flavor. I thought I'd ask you all--which breed's eggs taste best cooked on their own?
Thank you so much for this post!
goodpost.gif

Do your chickens lay brown eggs or white eggs? If brown, then you will have no problem distinguishing. If white, duck eggs are typically off white, with a greenish tinge, are much rounder and the shells are very hard. Also much larger. You should have no problem telling the difference. They are wonderful for baking and things just rise better. Also, when ducks, as in chickens, first start laying, you will get plenty of double yolkers. Shame you are allergic to chicken eggs, hope the duck eggs solves that for you. They taste wonderful, richer than chickens, and have many nutrients that chicken eggs do not have. Google it sometime with the comparison, there's really incredible trace minerals and such in duck eggs. Usually for baking, one duck egg equals about 2 chicken eggs! If you like to dip your toast in the yolk, you will looooove duck eggs!

We eat our duck eggs! Our 2 Pekin girls typically lay an eggs a day each. Unfortunately, sometimes they bury them in their coop and we don't find them for a few days. I'm always worried that they are too old to eat.

We get a HUGE double yolk about every other day. The duck eggs are much bigger than the eggs our chickens are laying and the shells are thicker. We've noticed no real difference in taste, but the consistency is very different. The white of the duck eggs is a bit milky looking and the yolk is brighter than chicken eggs. In the photo - the 3 brown eggs are from our chickens, the white ones are from the ducks. Such a BIG size difference!!!

Last edited:
We have one duck that has been laying over the last year. We began to cherish duck eggs and ordered more ducks this spring. Outer last duck took about 6 months before laying, but it was also january and freezing. Super consistent layer until she molted this spring. She began laying again and has been consistent in her 5-6 eggs a week. Then 5 months aster the hatch date literally on the nose we noticed some of out new girls are laying. We believe them to be from the 3 welsch harlequins, since typically the cayuga's lay a blackish coating on their first eggs. Even when our year old duck got out of her molt her egg had this blackish coating. We are estatic with our soon to be 7 laying ducklets! They are the best for waffles, pancakes and baking! I view duck eggs like butter in comparison to chickem eggs! Does anyone know ofew any ducks that lay any exotic colored eggs?

We have 2 Pekin ducks but have cooked and baked with duck eggs for a few years.

If you like over easy eggs, duck eggs make the BEST. The yokes are thicker and creamier and a little better flavor.

Omelettes come out fluffy, and incredible..

So my 2 Pekins, and my 2 new Khakis aren't producing yet but can't wait until they do.

Back
Top Bottom