Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

update from Texas, some keepers to work with, nice job DT!

Hatched on 3/19/12, 43 days old today. (11) birds, Hen-299g, Hen-296g, Hen-303g, Hen-267g, Roo-267g, Roo-219g, Roo-278g, Hen-290g, White Hen-237g, Roo-234g, Hen-326g
Yes Sir, These Tatanka's are some fine birds !

Wow this thread is epic!!

I joined up just so I could comment on this. Read all the posts and now I'm all amped up to go get some wire and start making my own quail cages. I've been reading about it for a while now and planning on adding a few cages to my rabbitry at some point, and I think today is going to be the day!

Thank you for all your work, and the inspiration!!

You can never have too many cages, or too many birds....

But I dont know if keeping quail is allowed if you got rabbits too.....

Welcome to the addiction. It never really ends.... Good Luck, Bill

These are some of eggs that I put in incubator today.....35 eggs between 13g and 16g.

Sorry for the blurry picture. These eggs are from my 2nd generation large birds. I have pulled all the large birds from the first hatching and put them in one cage, sorry I haven't been able to weigh them yet...will do shortly. From eggs hatched from this group I have the largest birds in the second cage, these are their eggs. Cage one eggs average 13g (average of 10 eggs), cage two eggs are averaging 14.5g (average of 10 eggs). I don't know if you consider these Tatanka's but they are very large to me. I will be butchering all the culls.

You can never have too many cages, or too many birds....

But I dont know if keeping quail is allowed if you got rabbits too.....

Welcome to the addiction. It never really ends.... Good Luck, Bill
Bill,
Love the cages, what changes do you make for the winters in KS?

@ Psue

The pen with the Blue tin roof in one of the pix, is actually a 8' x 5' pen. Its split long ways make'n two 30"x8' pens. In the spring, summer and early fall, I use it as grow out pens. Along with two other similar ones. Once the hormones of breeding season die off. I move the breeder birds I'm gonna carry over winter, to this pen. Quail on one side, Chuckar on the other. All in a colony pen situation. Less water to keep thawed out! Bill

edit to add: This pen design is shamelessly stolen from Jim, MillieB... His rabbitry looks, let say "similar"... Thou they are not shown in the pic. There are 6 plastic poo pans, designed for rabbit pens, that sit on top of the upper two rows of cages.... Makes the guys up stairs alot better neighbors!!!

Last edited:
pop.gif

Subscribed.

I'm working on my first ever flock of chickens right now, and getting more this Monday. My next project (if I can get tier one approval from the wifie) is quail. Of course, I guess the first expense there would be an incubator. I'll be interested to see how this all turns out, and if you can come up with the Cornish Cross of Quail with the Tatanka.

@ Psue

The pen with the Blue tin roof in one of the pix, is actually a 8' x 5' pen. Its split long ways make'n two 30"x8' pens. In the spring, summer and early fall, I use it as grow out pens. Along with two other similar ones. Once the hormones of breeding season die off. I move the breeder birds I'm gonna carry over winter, to this pen. Quail on one side, Chuckar on the other. All in a colony pen situation. Less water to keep thawed out! Bill

edit to add: This pen design is shamelessly stolen from Jim, MillieB... His rabbitry looks, let say "similar"... Thou they are not shown in the pic. There are 6 plastic poo pans, designed for rabbit pens, that sit on top of the upper two rows of cages.... Makes the guys up stairs alot better neighbors!!!
Thanks Bill... I'm over here in MO trying to see if there's anything I can do to make my critters more comfy next winter. I dont expect it to be as nice as this one was
wink.png

I received a 21 gr. egg yesterday! I have this one hen that is noticeably larger then all the rest and her and her brood mates have recently started laying. I've received a lot of double yolks too. Anyway, this one hen lays extremely large eggs,her egg 3 days ago was egg was 18.9 grams and then the 21 gr egg yesterday. I candled the 21 gr egg and only see one yolk. What are your thoughts on incubating it?
They're 8 weeks now, I'll try to weight that hen tomorrow and post info here... She's freakishly large.. lol..

incubate it and see what happens...
I received a 21 gr. egg yesterday! I have this one hen that is noticeably larger then all the rest and her and her brood mates have recently started laying. I've received a lot of double yolks too. Anyway, this one hen lays extremely large eggs,her egg 3 days ago was egg was 18.9 grams and then the 21 gr egg yesterday. I candled the 21 gr egg and only see one yolk. What are your thoughts on incubating it?
They're 8 weeks now, I'll try to weight that hen tomorrow and post info here... She's freakishly large.. lol..

Back
Top Bottom