Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Just wanted to let you know im now part of the group.My FD eggs been cooking almost a week now. i think if this line continues they gona have to make a bigger size quail rail cause these suckers wont hardly fit in the holes for the turner..Im hyped up waiting on these buggers to bust out.. Moby you guys are tops in my book

Final 42 day cuts, Hen 325g (11.6oz), Cockbird 319g (11.4oz)
4 generations documented online (with peer review) with weights and pictures/video from egg to breeders.
Plan to cross the hen back to her tatanka grandsire and the cockbird back to the granddam F2 Tatanka Hens.

pop.gif

Moby, have you weighed any of your chicks at birth or within the first week? I'm just curious because the earliest weights I see posted begin at 14 days and the jumbo eggs that I hatched this week have a couple of outstanding sized chicks so I'm curious.
Another question. I had 52 live hatches out of 78 eggs set. Two of the chicks were yellow. I had to cull one yellow chick that was born herniated(I think). Is that normal in Jumbos to have yellows in there? Will they be white?
Thanks.

Moby, have you weighed any of your chicks at birth or within the first week? I'm just curious because the earliest weights I see posted begin at 14 days and the jumbo eggs that I hatched this week have a couple of outstanding sized chicks so I'm curious.
Another question. I had 52 live hatches out of 78 eggs set. Two of the chicks were yellow. I had to cull one yellow chick that was born herniated(I think). Is that normal in Jumbos to have yellows in there? Will they be white?
Thanks.

#1 yes, we weigh at hatch, usually 11-12g from a 14-15 gram egg, we have added weights to our spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApN9sh2vhDvXdEN3VzBRdG9VNUwzc3lZSmhHS01HaWc&output=html

3 days= ~18-20g
6 days= ~34-35grams
10 days= 60g+

#2 yes, the yellows will be white. sounds like you have a "white split" or two in your brown pen. or some other recessive color mixed with brown? brown is visually dominant over most other colors. brown looks like this "Br/Br" white split like this "Br/wh"
e.g., when 2 "Br/wh" meet up, you have a 25% chance for them to produce white chicks. If a roo is a split and one hen is a split and you collected for several days and got several of her eggs, you would have a shot for whites to show up.

eta

and Big, dont worry bout the white showing up, (others know more about colors than me, cva, bfrancis, aprophet), but just keep breeding brown to brown and white to white if you want to keep them purest.

56/72 is a very nice hatch! you are well on your way sir, nice to have you around. grown em Big!

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know im now part of the group.My FD eggs been cooking almost a week now. i think if this line continues they gona have to make a bigger size quail rail cause these suckers wont hardly fit in the holes for the turner..Im hyped up waiting on these buggers to bust out.. Moby you guys are tops in my book

one more, nice...

very nice. and "they" said it wouldnt last.... mauahahahahaha

Final 42 day cuts, Hen 325g (11.6oz), Cockbird 319g (11.4oz)
4 generations documented online (with peer review) with weights and pictures/video from egg to breeders.
Plan to cross the hen back to her tatanka grandsire and the cockbird back to the granddam F2 Tatanka Hens.

Some have fancy websites and tall tales and some have this... a documented group of "peer reviewed" breeders with pics and videos of weekly growth of 4+ generations of line-bred "Jumbos"

just can't beat that...and can't catch it now either...

thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Moby.. Sorry for the thread de-rail. I'm keeping up with your work here, though.. Great job your doing...
I actually have 6 in this hatch that , *so far*, meet your weight standards. My 4 day weights for the largest chicks were 21.9 - 23.2 g. In fact, today I see some wing feathers developing on a bunch of them. They really are amazing birds.. I'm going to order 30 more eggs this weekend from the same E-bayer that I got this batch of eggs from.. Thanks again.

Thanks, Moby.. Sorry for the thread de-rail. I'm keeping up with your work here, though.. Great job your doing...
I actually have 6 in this hatch that , *so far*, meet your weight standards. My 4 day weights for the largest chicks were 21.9 - 23.2 g. In fact, today I see some wing feathers developing on a bunch of them. They really are amazing birds.. I'm going to order 30 more eggs this weekend from the same E-bayer that I got this batch of eggs from.. Thanks again.

no problem Big, Im interested in your work just as much, keep it coming. the country needs a few more good Quail ambassadors.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom