Teach me everything Pekin duck!

I am in vet med but gosh darn I don't want any health scares. Is it just their feet and legs that seem to be the problem? Or are there more issues (not including feeding deficiencies)
mostly just their legs, and if you really stay on top of it from the very start it can be managed. A lot of people's problems come from not knowing Pekins have these issues and not realizing until they're older, or picking up birds that werent cared for by someone else from the beginning and theres only so much correction you can do once a problem like bowed or twisted legs has set in. Trying to constantly play catch-up with old issues is certainly different than mitigating the issues from the beginning.

A lot of people prefer to free-feed and the lighterweight breeds do okay with it, but Pekins will just gorge themselves so once theyre out of their duckling stage you might want to get them on an actual schedule, and just make sure they get a lot of exercise to keep the weight down and the legs strong.

@SuperDuck might have some extra insight, Chuck and Buck are two very active Pekins

I think its mostly leg and foot related, and they don't live as long most of the time. Google says the lifespan of a Pekin is 5 years. If you are getting them as pets that is definitely a downside compared to other ducks like Muscovy which I have that live 10-20 years.
Well unless you're getting up there in years yourself and don't want to be doing duck care forever! But yes, now that I own my ducks I feel like I have 5 heartaches in my future, and I keep thinking about the last one left and what I will do then....

As the topic states, my DH desperately wants ducks. Specifically two "Donald and Daffy" :lau . I am a chicken lady so I do all my own hatching and raising. I've never considered raising ducks but I am all about supporting his goals as he supports my crazy chicken lady ones so much. He is dead set on Pekin Ducks ps.

Here's a list of things Id like to know more about...and I know I could scour the internet but I enjoy reading everyones personal experiences and feedback a lot more. I also have found some links to be misleading since getting into chickens.

1. Incubation
2. Feeding
3. Living accommodations (bedding, sleeping area, space etc) (Can they live with chickens? Including one Rooster)
4. Water source- Pond or pool?
5. Winter requirments
6. Anything else you think I should know!

Thank you for you help!
1. Incubation - We didn’t do that. We live just over an hour from Mercer and drove to pick up Chuck and Buck. Such a fun surprise for my kid (They’re his ducks)

2. They get a scoop of “duck chow” in the morning and if before bedtime it’s gone, we give them a bit more. If it’s still sitting there.... then no more. They forget for bugs and weeds throughout the day and they get plenty of our food ( veggies, cheese, Starbucks Duckaccinos if we go out that day)

3. Our sleeping arrangements will probably vary from 99.9% of this forum. They sleep indoors in a dog crate with pillows and blankets and their tv. No, I am not lying :)

4. Water sources. We have a few. We tried a water bowl. They sat on it, tripped on it, threw it..... anything but use it as a water bowl so we got rid of it and gave them a blue kiddie pool for their area. They eat, drink, sleep, splash it all day long. If they’re good, they get to come out to the big in-ground pool. And sometimes they’re bad and still sneak over to the pool. They swim with the kids.... and heck, they swim without the kids. Buck stays in as long as he can and will nap. Chuck get out to dry off but cannon-balls his feathered butt back in if he gets caught being out there without permission. Then if we go into the third area of our yard (the kid/dog side) we built a pond with a river and waterfall for them to enjoy.

5. Winter requirements? We live in central Ca. We don’t have much to worry about except if there is lightning and thunder. Those pansies are afraid of it and come inside, usually taking a nap by the fireplace.

6. Anything else you should know? I’m not sure I’m the right person to ask. I’d start telling you things like it’s easier to camp in an RV with ducks than it is kids and dogs... which blankets and pillows Chuck and Buck prefer.... and that my house vacuum has been jumped more times by a duck than our dogs have jumped each other.
And I wouldn’t change it for the world. Chuck and Buck are the light of our lives and we don’t know what we would do without them..... except a hell of a lot less laundry.

I kept and raised pekin ducks for many years up north. Never had any issues with them, but that's not to say you won't. They do get pretty large, and they are a pretty 'lazy' duck. They like to lay around the run a lot, but they are really active in the water.

I had several large pools set up for them. I had to set bricks in them and outside of them so they could get up and out as they cannot jump.

They 100% love food, and will pretty much eat anything. I would give a little feed, but fresh veggies too.

I even had a 1 legged pekin. She used to hop around the yard like nobodies business! She even got in the pool all by herself. She was awesome. Lived to be 5 until a predator attack.

They are extremely personable, and very friendly if raised right. I used to let them out on the 3+ acres we had and just sit in a lawn chair and feed them from my hands. Loved watching them waddle around.

That said, take the issues into account and make sure you have a good vet on hand, and be prepared for any problems. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom