Teaching old dogs

Big dreams

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
I thought I was doing a good thing getting dogs from the Humane Society but the dogs have been a bit of a problem. I had to start keeping them out because they chase the cats in the house if we are not home... blood on the walls when we returned home, never really figured out if it was dog or cat blood but I will not have the dogs inside. Now we have some chicks and I really wanted the dogs to help me protect the chickens, I let the chickens out (in a dog pen void of dogs) took my dog on a leash and stood next to the pen, she put her nose on the fence and sat shakeing with excitment no movement she would listen when I said sit, or lay down but I know she was much more into getting at the chickens, is there any hope for her she is a sweet dog, loves people and would perfer to stay by your side always but she is a outside dog. I am sorry this is so long, she is a pitbull mix (maybe) not really sure like I said got her from the pound, with issues, some have been resolved some not so much. Thank you for any advise.

I think there's hope. You just have to be really firm and consistent with her. Keep doing what you're doing (keeping her on the leash) and do it at least once a day. When my neighbor first got chickens her dogs killed 3 of them before she got them trained, but now she can take her Sheperd mix into the coop with her.

My advice is to be very careful. Even when (and if) you get the dog trained, never leave it alone with the chicks.

My dog Roxie (also a rescue pet of unknown breed mixture) is a real sweetheart. We trust her with our children, but I would not trust her with the chickens. She has an instinctive drive to chase anything that runs. She is not vicious, but I have no doubt that she would kill a chicken given the chance - probably by playing too roughly with it.

Last summer she was tied out in the yard while our ladies were "free-ranging" about. Our silkie (with her obstructed vision) had the misfortune of wandering right into Roxie's mouth! The chicken was fine, fortunately I was able to "extract" her before any damage was done!

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Pretty sure if one got that close to this dog and I was not standing or maybe if I were standing close it would be to late.
sad.png
I did have a Rott for a number of years very sweet dog but he picked up our cockatiel, held on to him for awhile before my son noticed and made him drop it, the bird was fine a little shook up but that was all, well I don't think with Jazzy (this new dog) that would have been the case. I will keep having her watch chickens with me and hope for the best, I know my husband will shoot her if she gets a hold of a chicken more then once. She never has before as far as I know, I think she was a neglected dog, she has separation issues, barking issues, and would eat enough to kill her if she could.
sad.png
I just hope that there is hope. Thank you much.

There is always hope, and there is always a way - if you are determined.

For me, it simply means keeping them separated unless under DIRECT supervision. Perhaps that's the best solution for you as well. Chickens in the pen, cats in the house, dog (tied up or in different kennel?) in the yard.

Due to some pecking and broodiness issues, the Silkie was living with us in the house for a while. Much to the dog's chagrin, I modified the dog kennel to accommodate the chicken!

Anyway, there were a couple of times when the dog and the silkie came face to face on the kitchen floor without being separated by cages or gates. Roxie immediately got in play stance, but backed off with a simple "NO!" from me. I think that if I had the time (and the inclination) I could have acclimated her to the presence of the chicken so that the dog would leave the bird alone. Again, however, I would NEVER trust her unsupervised.

I have to keep my dogs on a overhead run all the time because they don't stay home, another issue, so no worry about her really being with the chickens but as anyone with dogs know every once in awhile something happens they break free, my hope is if that should ever happen she will sit outside chicken house and watch, not climb over the fence, or dig under and kill chickens. In the last year I think she got loose (brooke cable) once or maybe twice. My chickens will be inside a fence as well, to many neighbor dogs, hawks, eagles, racoons ...... no free range here any more.
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom