Teenagers and rules??

My boy is now 23 but back in his high school years, my house was the cool/safe house! Mind you no smoking, etc. If I heard bad language, I would yell out "You are too intelligent to use those words". They learned quickly, they never left the house a mess and just basically good kids, all boys. However, I did get a good laugh one day....I came home at my usual time, had about 12-15 boys in my den. I waved to the boys and went to the kitchen...I look out the window and half a block down the street I see my boy with a bunch of other kids skateboarding...
lau.gif

Ha ha, Mine didn't like working so I sold them to the Mexican child slavery Cartel, and now I no longer have to worry about sleep overs, although I worry about those poor Mexicans bringing them back.
lol.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

OK the cast is like this Teen 1 and teens 3 through 4 her friends. (All are 15 and 16)
Dad and Grandma and grandpa.

So teen1 lives with her mother but asked Dad if she could come over - he has a pool. Soon she requests that 3 friends come over too. Their parents drop them off without speaking to dad.

They all spend the night, and the next day teen1 and teen 2 arrange to go to the beach. Teens 3 and 4 are "supposed" to be waiting for a pick up. No one shows.
hu.gif

So teens 3 and 4 spend the entire day in the home of teen 1's dad with grandpa and grandma. The kids never speak to the adults. The adults never question the kids about what they are doing or what their plans are. The kids go into the kitchen and make themselves food, go back to teen 1's room and eat and watch TV. Teen 1 comes home after 10 PM! The group spends the night again.
th.gif

Now, forgive me if there is something seriously wrong on all counts here. Who drops their kid at some one's house for 3 days without speaking to the parents?!?!
What parents let two kids they barely know simply hang around for an undetermined amount of time with no questions whatsoever?? WTH?

I raised major questions about this and was told that I don't understand today's teens.
rant.gif

?!?!?! Sorry, this is simply not happening in my house or with my kids. I don't care .
old.gif
But does this sound normal to any of you??

Maybe its different for girls, but my parents would drop me off places for the weekend or how ever long with out speaking to anyone all the time. And my friends would come to my house doing the same. I just graduated college this year, but back in high school my parents always trusted me to be responsible. If they didn't know the parents of the place I was going they always assumed I had made sure things were okay before going​

Hey What! I'm just catching up with this thread now.

Though I know, I would never have been allowed to spend any amount of time at anyone's house my parents didn't know, I know it happens all the time these days. I think it's a combination of misplaced trust and just not carrying. So many parents are so lost in their own worlds of bills, work, unhappy marriage, etc...that the kids get lost in the shuffle. They are somewhere else so the parent doesn't have them under foot to worry about.

With the kids I worked with at the Alternative School, I've seen what happens to these kids. Just Friday one was given life in prison without the possibility of parole for gunning down 2 others that he had an arguement with. Kids left to fend for themselves end up at one end of the gun or the other. It's even scarier of what can happen to girls. I know stories of them being passed around for days, and days before they were let go.

People are either blind or don't want to know what is going on.

I always check with my teens when they say they are going to be at so and so house. i make sure its ok and i also let the parents know when i will be picking up my daughter and i ask what the kids have planned and ask my teen if she has enough money or needs more. My teens are pretty straightforward with me i give them freedom and so far its all been good they know i might make a random trip to town and show up unannounced at the loacal teen hangout and if thats where they say they will be they had better be there or i may hunt them down and embarass them and make them get in the car and come home.

Back
Top Bottom