teeny tiny question re a teeny tiny egg.....

Dolivo

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
so today one of my newbies laid a teeny tiny egg. this is the smallest chicken egg I've seen. pic below is sitting next to a small teaspoon. so I got to wondering ...... (sorry if this is a silly question)
if this teeny tiny egg had been fertilized by a rooster.....
and a hen had decided to sit on the teeny tiny egg.......
would a teeny tiny chick grow inside.......
and hatch out and then a teeny tiny little fuzzy chick would be running around?
just curious :)

Is there even a yolk inside? Sometimes chickens lay tiny eggs that dont even have a yolk. If it doesn't have a yolk then it could never become a developed embryo.

Is there even a yolk inside? Sometimes chickens lay tiny eggs that dont even have a yolk. If it doesn't have a yolk then it could never become a developed embryo.
Yep - "fart" or "fairy" eggs usually lack a yolk. If this was a fart egg from a standard-sized hen, even if it had a yolk and was fertile, I think the chances of a successful hatch would be slim. When incubating (regular) eggs, normal-sized eggs are preferred - I once set a pullet-sized duck egg and while it hatched, the duckling had difficulty getting out because it was regular-sized in a too-small egg. The duckling, however, is now a very large drake.
1f642.png

If it had a teeny tiny yolk that was fertilized.....
....tho hatchability might be questionable, if it did develop and hatch...
......then, yes, a teeny tiny little fuzzy chick would be running around.

Pullets first eggs are often small.  As the pullet matures its eggs will become larger.

these aren't small like pullet eggs small. these are small like large marbles small. I got an even smaller one today. about the size of a quarter id say.

Last edited:
True I don't know the age of the hen-pullet that laid the egg in question but from your post I surmised that she was new to the laying game.

When my family and I were in the commercial egg business a few of our replacement pullets at first laid similarly sized eggs but as they got a little more age on them the eggs grew steadily in size.

I predict that your hens will soon step up and lay normal sized eggs.

When using an automatic grading and candling machine the egg you pictured would fall off the end of the machine and be graded "Peewee"

I have never seen "Peewee" eggs for sale in any grocery and I don't expect to.

Size Weight of a dozen eggs
Jumbo 30 ounces
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom