Tell me about your sweet gentle roosters!

I have a Rhode Island roo. He is a little over a year. And a perfect gentleman to me and his ladies. I purchased him from someone on Craigslist who had to many roos. He was definitely a beta. He has never been mean to me and is a gentleman with his ladies. I have some older chicks from him. His son is pretty but not near as pretty as him. It's not determined if his son will be eaten or kept for breeding 😁

I've had several really good roosters.
My best two were mutts, and one of them fathered/grandfathered the other. Daddy Sirius was a Australorp mixed with an Americauna (and maybe some other stuff too, got him from a friend). The other one, Autumn, was fathered by Sirius or one of Sirius's mean sons. He doesn't like my family much becuase I let a mean hen raise him, but he's not aggressive. Autumn took over after Sirius got picked off with his girl Uhura. The hens love both.
Zloty is a Salmon Faverolle who is at the very bottom of the pecking order. He's not a good fighter and his spurs are smaller than normal, but he's the gentlelest rooster alive.
Rupert was a mutt descended from Sirius and he wasn't very gentle, but he was great with the hens and a born protector. He even protected a family member from another roo. Unfortunately, as he aged, he turned aggressive, but before that he was perfect.

I think mutts are really good choices for roosters. If you breed chickens though, that's obviously an issue. Salmon Faverolles are a great all-around breed. I would not pick Orpingtons, in my experience they are aggressive.

My older rooster (he is just over a year old) is named Blue, and he is just the perfect rooster. All of his girls like him, he is very protective, but he also respects us and allows us to do anything with the hens. He’ll usually keep his distance, and he doesn’t mind being held. He was raised by a broody hen, and she did most of the work on raising him up to be a kind and respectful boy. I would be beyond surprised if he ever attacked us.View attachment 3125158View attachment 3125162

Attachments

• 964a6eb78ac5b7b2b1583ad2e8b7de85--cartoon-cartoon-cartoon-characters.jpg
    964a6eb78ac5b7b2b1583ad2e8b7de85--cartoon-cartoon-cartoon-characters.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3
1653690789116.png

This is Vincenzo. He is a Rhode Island Red (Tractor Supply special) and is pretty chill with everyone except the bunnies (who he chases with a vengeance). He has 17 hens (Rhode Island Red and Austrolop) that he looks after.

He likes to get stroked and picked up for some private cuddle time each day, and we think he may have vegan super powers (he thinks worms are gross).

Here’s my boy, Iris. He’s some sort of BCM mix, and has the looks and personality.
B1795EF7-56B0-4391-8279-4B4511C90AB8.jpeg
F6821115-A2BA-4AE2-8117-A273F38E4E97.jpeg

One of my girls hatched him from a local farm. I bought an assortment of random eggs, and after deciding they were too pretty to eat, I stuck a few under her.
He’s super people friendly, and actively flies/climbs on my lap when I sit outside. He’s also pretty gentle to most of his girls, but he’s 8+lbs and so a few of them have needed saddles.

I’ve never had an issue with aggression with him (aside from the normal rebellious chick stage everyone goes through at some point or another, and even that was pretty gentle), and he just turned 4yo so I doubt that will be changing.

Here’s my boy, Iris. He’s some sort of BCM mix, and has the looks and personality.
View attachment 3126348View attachment 3126349
One of my girls hatched him from a local farm. I bought an assortment of random eggs, and after deciding they were too pretty to eat, I stuck a few under her.
He’s super people friendly, and actively flies/climbs on my lap when I sit outside. He’s also pretty gentle to most of his girls, but he’s 8+lbs and so a few of them have needed saddles.

I’ve never had an issue with aggression with him (aside from the normal rebellious chick stage everyone goes through at some point or another, and even that was pretty gentle), and he just turned 4yo so I doubt that will be changing.
I love his comb! I also love that he is so secure in his masculinity, that he doesn't mind being called Iris. 🤣
My sweet Doris doesn't mind his name, but my husband wanted me to change his name to Boris. We stuck with Doris.

I love his comb! I also love that he is so secure in his masculinity, that he doesn't mind being called Iris. 🤣
My sweet Doris doesn't mind his name, but my husband wanted me to change his name to Boris. We stuck with Doris.
Me too! Iris was a lot more gender neutral compared to some of the other names on the possibility list, like Rose. His moms name was Poppy, so I wanted to stick to the flower theme, lol.
I like Doris’ name!

Me too! Iris was a lot more gender neutral compared to some of the other names on the possibility list, like Rose. His moms name was Poppy, so I wanted to stick to the flower theme, lol.
I like Doris’ name!
Iris's comb reminds me of a rooster that hatched with Doris. Magpie, who lives with my friend, is a marans crossed with a wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom