Tell me anything about this new rescue duckling...please :)

DomMom

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I currently have 28 5 week chicks waiting for their coop to be finished to move out of the house.

Hubby brought this, I believe baby, home this afternoon from a hoarding situation. Animal control won't take birds, other than to put them down, so he brought her home and she's in the garage.

I have her in a large size dog crate with alfalfa under her and chick food.

Any info you can tell me from this picture would be appreciated. I'm a little clueless on ducks.

We live on a farm with 2 ponds and the chicken coop is big enough for her to share (when it's done), if that matters.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2156[1].jpg
    IMG_2156[1].jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 13
Looks like a female khaki Campbell. I may be wrong though. What do you want to know? Ducks always need water with their food otherwise they can choke and deep enough to stick their whole beaks in to clean the breathing holes.
It was very kind of you to take her in. Offer her a bin of water big enough she can bathe in when you can. She will much appreciate a good bath. I have five ducks and they bathe often. They love mud puddles as they search for bugs and worms in them. Have you thought of a name? She/he is very pretty.

Thank you. Any guess on an age? More thick fuzz than feathers. I’m thinking duckling.

She came from inside a home, but the electric was off. I’m hoping the 65 degree garage is suitable. We’ve had freezing temps in the past week, so she hasn’t had a lot of heat in the house she came from.

I am only assuming she is a she.

Best way to provide a bath? I bet she would love one. She was packed inside a filthy cage suitable for a hamster. If I take her outside, how do I keep her from flying away? I’m guessing she needs to establish this is home first?

Thank you. Any guess on an age? More thick fuzz than feathers. I’m thinking duckling.

She came from inside a home, but the electric was off. I’m hoping the 65 degree garage is suitable. We’ve had freezing temps in the past week, so she hasn’t had a lot of heat in the house she came from.

I am only assuming she is a she.

Best way to provide a bath? I bet she would love one. She was packed inside a filthy cage suitable for a hamster. If I take her outside, how do I keep her from flying away? I’m guessing she needs to establish this is home first?

Most likely won’t be able to fly when fully feathered because “she” is probably a domestic breed, not wild. Just take her outside in an enclosed area with a kiddie pool, or maybe a deep cookie sheet.... something long and wide enough for her to be able to splash a little in the water. If you want you could even use your bathtub!

Probably about a month to a month and a half old.

EDIT: after looking at the picture again in better quality I would say probably 3 weeks. Seems to have very few feathers, but it is also hard to tell because it could have been deprived of nutrients and may have stunted growth.

She does look young could be a couple months old. Awww poor girl. i bet she would love Some room to stretch her wings when you can. She can't fly now. At least mine didnt fly till they were much older and what a riot that was to watch them figure it out.:lauthe crash landings looked like they hurt a little. Then the other guys looked like they said "watch this, i can do better." and... nope! :gigthey were fine. Very amusing.
I use a big roasting pan. It holds 3 gallons of water. Its small but they manage just fine. Its easy to change the water often and move it around when I need to. I was using the pan to put the food dish inside to catch the food they spill so it wasnt wasted. I buy layer pellets for mine. Make sure you dont give her any food that's medicated for chickens. I would suggest getting some niacin for her. Sounds like the conditions she came from she could use the extra b vitamins. Being young as she is she needs them anyways.
Yeah she needs to know your place is home and you are safe and her food and shelter. If you feed her, she will stick around. Lol
65degrees is okay for her provided she's out of the wind. You said shes in the garage, thats a good start. Straw or something similar will provide some warmth too. You're doing great so far, keep up the good work. She is very blessed to have you.:love

I’d also say about 3 weeks old. Most likely the duck will not be able to fly higher than waist high. And rarely do they fly. Mostly just flutter around and flap their wings first thing in the morning when they get up for the day. The spot by the eye has me wondering if there’s any chance it’s a chocolate muscovy. Other than that I would say Khaki Campbell. @Soon2BChixMom does it look like a muscovy? I can never tell them apart at this age from mallard derived ducks.

Your garage will be just fine. It doesn’t need a whole lot of water. A little pan to play in is fine. I wouldn’t put the play pool in it’s pen. If you let it play outside for a few minutes, it will be happy and lots less mess.

I’d also say about 3 weeks old. Most likely the duck will not be able to fly higher than waist high. And rarely do they fly. Mostly just flutter around and flap their wings first thing in the morning when they get up for the day. The spot by the eye has me wondering if there’s any chance it’s a chocolate muscovy. Other than that I would say Khaki Campbell. @Soon2BChixMom does it look like a muscovy? I can never tell them apart at this age from mallard derived ducks.

Your garage will be just fine. It doesn’t need a whole lot of water. A little pan to play in is fine. I wouldn’t put the play pool in it’s pen. If you let it play outside for a few minutes, it will be happy and lots less mess.
You know her bill does kind of have a muscovy look to it.
I am not as well versed either.
Maybe @Nyla can see it. It amazes me that even though the muscovy is not mallard derived, it sure has a lot of the same characteristics when younger.
@Nyla thoughts on this duckling? Do you think it might be muscovy mix?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bout-this-new-rescue-duckling-please.1241849/

Back
Top Bottom