Tell me what to do

I won't be able to start it until the morning. We didn't have any corid. TSC doesn't open until 8 am. It may be too late. Read that day 4-6 is the mortality date. Since he started pooping blood this afternoon, we assume this is day 3. I'm going to try.

I won't be able to start it until the morning. We didn't have any corid. TSC doesn't open until 8 am. It may be too late. Read that day 4-6 is the mortality date. Since he started pooping blood this afternoon, we assume this is day 3. I'm going to try.

I would try... I'd also keep giving the antibiotic. Corid, if they have it in stock, is in the cow section. If you can't find Corid anywhere, you could try Sulmet instead, but Corid works much better.

First? I wish to thank your family for all that you sacrifice, as I know that it isn't only those that serve who bear the burdens that our freedoms bring.

If there's a local vet in your area, or an animal hospital, they'd possibly have something. Medicated chick starter usually contains Amprolium. And, in the event that there's something over-the-counter for cats/dogs that'd be at a local store that's open 24/7, provided it was the same active ingredient, and a dosage level could be established.

Be sure, if at all possible, to keep the bird both hydrated and warm.
A bit better than water might be to mix in 1 tbsp. sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda.

More information on coccidiosis, from the Merck Veterinary Manual:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm

More specifically, the various treatments ...

The modes of action of anticoccidial drugs are poorly understood. Some that are better known are described below. Knowledge of mode of action is important in understanding toxicity and side effects.
Amprolium is structurally similar to and is a competitive antagonist of thiamine (vitamin B1). Because rapidly dividing coccidia have a relatively high requirement for thiamine, amprolium has a safety margin of ~8:1 when used at the highest recommended level in feed. Maximal effect occurs about day 3 of the life cycle of coccidia. Because amprolium has poor activity against some Eimeria spp , its spectrum has been extended by using it in mixtures with the folic acid antagonists, ethopabate and sulfaquinoxaline.
Clopidol and quinolines (eg, decoquinate, methylbenzoquate) halt development of the sporozoites or trophozoites of Eimeria spp by inhibiting the electron transport system within parasite mitochondria. This action is coccidiostatic. Clopidol and quinolines have a broad species spectrum, but resistance may develop rapidly.
Folic acid antagonists include the sulfonamides, 2,4-diaminopyrimidines and ethopabate. These compounds are structural antagonists of folic acid or of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), which is a precursor of folic acid. (The host does not synthesize folic acid and has no requirement for PABA.) Coccidia rapidly synthesize nucleic acids, especially during schizogony, which accounts for activity against these stages. Although resistance to antifolate compounds is widespread, they are commonly used for water treatment when clinical signs are already evident. Diaveridine, ormetoprim, and pyrimethamine are active against the protozoan enzyme dihydrofolate reductase. They have synergistic activity with sulfonamides and often are used in mixtures with these compounds.
Halofuginone hydrobromide is related to the antimalarial drug febrifuginone and is effective against asexual stages of most species of Eimeria . It has both coccidiostatic and coccidiocidal effects.
The ionophores (monensin, salinomycin, lasalocid, narasin, maduramicin, and semduramicin) form complexes with various ions, principally sodium, potassium, and calcium, and transport these into and through biological membranes. The ionophores affect both extra- and intracellular stages of the parasite, especially during the early, asexual stages of parasite development. Drug tolerance was initially slow to emerge, probably because of the biochemically nonspecific way these fermentation products act on the parasite. Recent surveys suggest that drug tolerance is now widespread, but these products remain the most important class of anticoccidials.
Some ionophores depress weight gain when given at or slightly above the recommended levels. Primarily, this is the result of reduced feed consumption, but the reduced growth may be offset by improved feed conversion.
Nicarbazin was the first product to have truly broad-spectrum activity that is still in common use. While not completely understood, the mode of action is thought to be via inhibition of succinate-linked nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide reduction and the energy-dependent transhydrogenase, and the accumulation of calcium in the presence of ATP. Nicarbazin is toxic for layers, and a 4-day withdrawal period is required in broilers. Medicated birds are at increased risk of heat stress in hot weather.
Nitrobenzamides (eg, dinitolmide) exert their greatest coccidiostatic activity against the asexual stages. Efficacy is limited to E tenella and E necatrix unless combined with other products.
Robenidine, a guanidine compound, allows initial intracellular development of coccidia but prevents formation of mature schizonts. It is both coccidiostatic when given short term and coccidiocidal long term. Drug resistance may develop during use. A 5-day withdrawal period is needed to eliminate untoward flavor caused by residues in poultry meat.

Thank you all for your help. It is 5:30 a.m., and I am sure he isn't going to make it. He's too weak. Tried giving water, but it is too far gone. Isn't it a shame that by the time I figure it out, I can't do anything? He was an amzing chicken. He was my first. I've had him for almost 9 months. When we got him, I thought he was a hen. (I had no idea he was even a barred rock - we thought he was a dominque) After two months, he began crowing. We thought we had a crowing hen. We had him and a New Hampshire hen in a chicken tractor. He would watch over her as if his very life depended on her being safe. He would eat out of our hands, and he loved him some mealworms. When he would free range every afternoon, he would always end up on my shoulder or sitting beside my on the picnic table. After we got more chickens and build a small coop, he would sit with me on my little bench in front of the coop and guard everyone. He would start out on one side of the bench and slowly scooted over to sit right beside me. When he first started feeling bad, he loved coming inside to get his shot and eat yogart off the ritz cracker. When I was outside anywhere in the yard I could yell "good morning", and he would crow back at me. He knew the sound of my car and when I would get out, he would crow at me as if to say "come see me."

I sat with him this afternoon in the sun. He sat in my lap and I thanked him for being such a wonderful rooster. I think he understood. It is amazing how a simple chicken can make you so happy and love you even when you are at your worst. I loved him. I've slept in the guest room the past two nights with him in a box beside me. His breathing is labored now, and he is weak. My selfishness is keeping me from just putting him down.

But I'm okay. If I can feel this way over a bird that has only been here less than a year, I know I will keep learning and these chickens are my lesson. God is good. All the time.

I am very sorry... I know all too well the pain of losing pets. You did way more than most are willing to do, so don't be hard on yourself.

Shots are often recommended for 3 days only. So yes, keep giving them but only for 3 days.

What? Why?
Because that's what I read on the instructions for the penicillin that I got at the feed store. Other than that, I can't say why. I also know that usually it is a week or 10 days for humans and other critters but the feed store penicillin is an "all purpose" for many animals so maybe it's too strong to use that long for chickens, who knows? The other recommendations are for antibiotics formulated specifically for that animal or a human. This could be the difference.

Back
Top Bottom