Tell me your stories of crop impact surgery

Here's a photo of her by the way. She's resting and recovering. She's so adorable I love her so much. Reminder of the fox attack so that's why her comb looks messed up. Bald head is from our rooster.

Attachments

• D768FE4C-EF78-406F-A130-D02C303B294C.jpeg
    D768FE4C-EF78-406F-A130-D02C303B294C.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 10
Here's a photo of her by the way. She's resting and recovering. She's so adorable I love her so much. Reminder of the fox attack so that's why her comb looks messed up. Bald head is from our rooster.
I have a special hen like her too. I would do everything I could to help her. I hope your girl has a smooth recovery. ❤️ She’s got a good human.

Awesome! Just remember, small frequent food and drink access. Generally they feel a lot better pretty quickly. Hopefully hers will be a one-time deal and started from the stress of the attack. One of ours was incouragable. We'd open her up, start removing the blockage and she'd immediately try to eat what we just took out. Yeop. Fingers crossed she gets better!!!

Awesome! Just remember, small frequent food and drink access. Generally they feel a lot better pretty quickly. Hopefully hers will be a one-time deal and started from the stress of the attack. One of ours was incouragable. We'd open her up, start removing the blockage and she'd immediately try to eat what we just took out. Yeop. Fingers crossed she gets better!!!
She doesn't seem better.. I'm worried. Our chickens love watermelon and she won't even eat it. This isn't new since the surgery she's been acting weird since the attack. She just constantly stands, doesn't move much, sleeps standing. She won't eat or drink on her own. She also does weird neck stretches but figured that was normal from the crop. But also concerned because that first night she flopped all the sudden around like something wasn't right.

My mom and I both are thinking there could be something else wrong.. I know she's still recovering from the fox attack too, but should be fine. I almost wondered if she's egg bound but felt her through the outside and felt nothing. Also she did lay a soft shelled egg after that first night so still wouldn't explain the behavior I don't think?? Also she's been pooping??

I don't know what to do. I've been gently pushing her down and stroking her with old shirts around her kinda like a nest and she'll sleep awhile laying down. I'm giving nutridrench mixed water little bits at a time but that I also have to force. I just want her to be okay.

She doesn't seem better.. I'm worried. Our chickens love watermelon and she won't even eat it. This isn't new since the surgery she's been acting weird since the attack. She just constantly stands, doesn't move much, sleeps standing. She won't eat or drink on her own. She also does weird neck stretches but figured that was normal from the crop. But also concerned because that first night she flopped all the sudden around like something wasn't right.

My mom and I both are thinking there could be something else wrong.. I know she's still recovering from the fox attack too, but should be fine. I almost wondered if she's egg bound but felt her through the outside and felt nothing. Also she did lay a soft shelled egg after that first night so still wouldn't explain the behavior I don't think?? Also she's been pooping??

I don't know what to do. I've been gently pushing her down and stroking her with old shirts around her kinda like a nest and she'll sleep awhile laying down. I'm giving nutridrench mixed water little bits at a time but that I also have to force. I just want her to be okay.

I think you just need to give her time and continue to give her TLC. Is it possible she could be put in a safe space near her flock mates for a little while? Sometimes that perks them up.

I think you just need to give her time and continue to give her TLC. Is it possible she could be put in a safe space near her flock mates for a little while? Sometimes that perks them up.
Thank you I tried soaking her in warm water and feeling around tried inside a bit but nothing. Letting her rest. I don't think it'd work because they're free range and don't hang around anyways. I will get her back as soon as she's better though. Plus it's good I can keep an eye on her and it's a cleaner environment. Thanks for your reply. I've done everything at this point I think I can.

So I tried to go in again and feel since my mom thought I should. I still couldn't get very far. It's like once I'm at my middle knuckle I'm stuck. It's like.. there's a wall? I really don't think it's an egg it just feels and seems to move like skin. I tried moving it around to see if I could go further anywhere. Not much luck. I also didn't feel any egg. Right after I removed she pooped a VERY foul smelling mostly watery pinkish poop. Hasn't pooped since. Then again she hasn't ate. Still won't eat. Not sure anymore what to do. I've checked on the incision and reapplied neosporin. It looks really good to me actually I'm proud of myself lol. But seriously it's not red or inflamed or anything bad.

I apologize for rambling so much. My mom and I think there just may be something else we're not aware of that could be wrong, probably from the fox attack as that's when everything started. I'm kind of just repeating myself but I love her a lot and I hope she gets better.

Okay I'm feeling more hopeful. Earlier I tried feeding her watermelon and she would just not take it. I think I may have got the tiniest little crumb but that was it. Also hadn't pooped all day. I had this feeling I needed to check on her so I went and cooked a scrambled egg. She pooped!! That was already good. Not much but still. Was watery and looked like maybe old feed I don't know. Anyways I got her to eat!! I mean I had to hold her and like kinda force feed but she wasn't fighting it much after the first bite like she did this morning so I got a fair bit down. Finished with some water to rinse it down, tucked her in and said good night. :)

I'll probably try to feed her more in the morning.

Okay I'm feeling more hopeful. Earlier I tried feeding her watermelon and she would just not take it. I think I may have got the tiniest little crumb but that was it. Also hadn't pooped all day. I had this feeling I needed to check on her so I went and cooked a scrambled egg. She pooped!! That was already good. Not much but still. Was watery and looked like maybe old feed I don't know. Anyways I got her to eat!! I mean I had to hold her and like kinda force feed but she wasn't fighting it much after the first bite like she did this morning so I got a fair bit down. Finished with some water to rinse it down, tucked her in and said good night. :)

I'll probably try to feed her more in the morning.
Maybe she had a little bit of a “clog” in her gizzard or other part of the digestive tract?

Back
Top Bottom