Tell us about your silent roos!

Quote:
I have one!
frow.gif
Partridge Rock roo who rarely crows and when he does it is very muted. I didn't realize it until I culled all my other roos and my place was so silent that I thought something was wrong with him. There was a stretch of about a week and a half when he never made a sound. Now, even when he crows it is only a couple of times and I can barely hear it.

Someone told me this was typical of the breed. I thought..GREAT! He is beautiful and gentle and a good flockmaster. His offspring are beautiful and he is quiet....can't get any better than that!
big_smile.png

Don't have a pic of him right off hand, sorry.

We live in a rural setting with no one nearby to be bothered and I LOVE to hear the cocks crow. I understand how that could be a problem in an area where you have close neighbors so I am really glad we live where we live. I don't care how loudly or softly they crow really but I am still giggling every time my little Serama crows.

Quote:
I have one!
frow.gif
Partridge Rock roo who rarely crows and when he does it is very muted. I didn't realize it until I culled all my other roos and my place was so silent that I thought something was wrong with him. There was a stretch of about a week and a half when he never made a sound. Now, even when he crows it is only a couple of times and I can barely hear it.

Someone told me this was typical of the breed. I thought..GREAT! He is beautiful and gentle and a good flockmaster. His offspring are beautiful and he is quiet....can't get any better than that!
big_smile.png

Don't have a pic of him right off hand, sorry.

I have a PR too. He's VERY LOUD!

37500_sdc10173.jpg

This is Comet my EE rooster. He is a very quiet rooster. He usually does not crow a lot. Maybe since he was raised with another rooster that was older than him he didn't feel the need to crow. But that older rooster died so Comet is by himself with the girls now. He still doesn't crow a lot though.

Last edited:
I never gave it much thought but my EE or Americauna or what ever he is doesn't crow much either.
Now I'm going to have to start paying more attention. I'm not sure I've ever heard him crow.

Quote:
Now that's what I'm talking about. Too bad you seem so attached to him... Are you sure he doesn't want to come and live in the big city?

He has a wonderful life here....I doubt if he would like it much in the city~too much noise!
lol.png

He free ranges amongst 29 fat girls, comes and goes as he pleases as I never lock up my coop, he forages in the surrounding fields and my apple orchard throughout the year and seems to love his lazy days. He never has to worry about predators, as he has large dogs to guard his life. He is really quite a beautiful roo with every color in the rainbow in his feathers. His name is Tobias...Toby, for short.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom