Telling the sex

IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
Oh yes haha that was just the temporary one I use when cleaning the bigger pen each week the lady I bought them from about 5 weeks ago said they were born October 25 here is a picture of the early age coop I have for them it has sections in it for the different types of birds I have then eventually get moved to bigger coop this is literally the only set I've ever had complications with also being my first americauna set mixed in

I was feeding the chick food but my wife never dealing with chickens put the wrong food in one day and they ate around all the chick food for the cracked corn grain scratch mix so I still put the chick food in but they just eat around it and for heat source I have heat pads lined in floor does keep them pretty toasty what gets me is the lady told me the date and I knew looking it didn't add up but I really wanna get my sexing each chick down pretty good that's why I spread out my flock to bring in americauna chicks to

Need to leave corn out then. It has virtually no nutrition, and the need chick feed for proper development.

I was feeding the chick food but my wife never dealing with chickens put the wrong food in one day and they ate around all the chick food for the cracked corn grain scratch mix so I still put the chick food in but they just eat around it and for heat source I have heat pads lined in floor does keep them pretty toasty what gets me is the lady told me the date and I knew looking it didn't add up but I really wanna get my sexing each chick down pretty good that's why I spread out my flock to bring in americauna chicks to
No wonder they seem stunted. Corn and scratch grains lack the nutrition that growing chicks need. Only give starter from now on. They need a lot of protein to grow and develop their feathers. Poor nutrition means it will take much longer than usual to be able to sex these chicks. They are significantly delayed.

No wonder they seem stunted. Corn and scratch grains lack the nutrition that growing chicks need. Only give starter from now on. They need a lot of protein to grow and develop their feathers. Poor nutrition means it will take much longer than usual to be able to sex these chicks. They are significantly delayed.
x2. And DON'T feed layer until they ARE laying. It will also stunt their growth.

You've gotten feed back on every issue except how to tell the sex of each chick.

I agree your chicks are closer to four to five weeks than ten. If they were that old, it would be very easy to see which were pullets and which were cockerels, as the latter would be sporting very red head gear.

Right now, what you want to look for is a very subtle yellow color of the combs on the heads of young cockerels. The pullets won't have yellow combs, or even much in the way of combs at all, and they will be a very pale pink.

If you are color blind, you may have trouble seeing the difference between a yellow comb and a pink one. It can help to put something purple behind the chick's head as you look at the comb. It makes the yellow appear more yellow.

Back
Top Bottom