Temp in Brooder to keep away Pasty Butt

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
This is our 3rd brood of bantams and we are using the same lights and some set up for brooder box. Our first set of chicks did fine, no pasty butt or anything else. But our second set (4) died, not sure what from though. Now 1 is dead from our 3rd brood and the other 3 I just looked at and they had poo on their bums. Have cleaned them with warm water and dried them, they are back in the brooder with 2 lamps to get the temp up, but what should that temp be??

We lost another chick this morning
hit.gif
The last 2 seem to be fine, but I am not sure that we will get to replace the 2 we lost since TSC will not be getting anymore and not sure if they have any left. I will call in a while to see if they might have any.

They should be at 90-95 for their first week. What is the temp under the hot spot? I am very sorry for your loss. I lost 5 when I first got mine.

Well apparently my thermometer is NOT working right. I have 2 heat lamps on them and the thermometer is up to 82 now, but the last 2 seem content?? They stay out from under the heat more than under, so I am thinking it might be a bit warmer than 82.

I will just keep a close eye on them and keep the boxed covered to keep it warm. Going to try to find a smaller box for them, since it is just the 2 of them now.

You mentioned pasty butt, which is most often caused by poor temperarture regulation and/or poor quality food. Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar in their water? That will help with pasty butt. If you do get it, by an organic brand that has "mothers" in it. Bragg is probably the most commong brand. About 1 teaspoon per gallon of water is the recommended dosage.

You mentioned pasty butt, which is most often caused by poor temperarture regulation and/or poor quality food. Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar in their water? That will help with pasty butt. If you do get it, by an organic brand that has "mothers" in it. Bragg is probably the most commong brand. About 1 teaspoon per gallon of water is the recommended dosage.

I am doing ACV now. Have NEVER had to do this before in the 2 years we have been raising chicks. I can't find the organic brand anywhere, I have looked for a few months.

If it doesn't have the mother in it, and it has been pastuerized (removes bacteria and enzymes), then it probably is not doing your chicks any good.

If you can't find it near you, go to a local health food store and ask for non-pastuerized ACV with mother. Or, you can purchase it directly from their website.
http://bragg.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Just found this. Here's their store locator.Click Virginia and see. They might sell it some place you haven't looked.
http://bragg.com/reseller/retailerlist/locator_entrypage.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom