Temp problems!

quailkids14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Ohio
When I got up yesterday morning the temp in my homemade incubator was 97 and humidity was 37%. I got the temp back up and humidity at 40%. Then this morning the temp was 99 and humidity was 42%. A bit ago when I checked it the temp was 103 and humidity had no change. Will this short bit of high temp hurt? Oh yeah, I have 13 georgia giant quail eggs. This is my 2nd time trying to hatch quail eggs.

Sounds like you need to place the incubator in a more stable room. Sounds like your incubator is trying to catch up with what your room is doing... (i hope it's not a still-air bator). If it is I would think about a fan, they help keep temps better in fluctuating environments.

For your humidity you might want to keep a container with a larger surface area, say 6" x 6" opening. or two quart size mason jars. (make sure the water going into the container is same as the bator though)

Even a cardboard box over the bator can sometimes help keep drafts off. you probably need to take readings probably every minute then average that time out to get what your steady temp would be. (remember, you're looking for an average temp of 99.5 -100.5)

Thank you. I believe you are right about a more stable room. The over night temp is getting very low in our house because the outside temp got down to the 8 degrees. I will try moving it to a less drafty location.

Back
Top Bottom