Tempe,AZ homeowners association

Quote:
To each their own, I suppose.

I hate to say it but a true, old fashioned neighborhood is not guided by a HOA. Common sense, quality morals and courtesy to your fellow man are the basic elements of neighborliness.

I'm not sure I want everyone to know me, not because I have something to hide, but there's something to be said for privacy and quelling nosey neighbors. Speaking of neighbors, I don't need a HOA to look out for my neighbors. We all take care of each other without a document to tell us to do so.

It only takes one ornery neighbor with HOA-like power to take your chickens away.

I have an HOA where I live. It was required when this little area was subdivided to maintain the stormwater system. It pretty much is a defunct HOA. The President for Life, as set up in the HOA docs, is dying and there is no way to replace him in the HOA guiding documents. But, we pretty much do what we want anyways. We aren't supposed to have chickens, but I cleared it with my neighbors first and all is good.

Tempe is a great example of "Instant City": Just add pre-fab houses and lawns that don't belong in Arizona!
tongue.png

People want to live in their sterile enclave far from rural scenes. I second the advice others already stated: Move now!
smile.png

And have chickens and veggies and enjoy them.

Thank goodness I live in an old, established town with a 300+ year heritage of chickens and agriculture. No livestock ordinances.

Quote:
I wonder if the problems is your HOA rather than the city I live in Tempe near Broadway and Rural and have 5 hens (barred rocks). When I called the city they told me no more than 5 chickens, no roosters, and they had to be 50 feet from the neighbor's bedroom. I told them where I live and they said to be a good neighbor, keep the area clean, etc. I've had my hens for about a year and the neighbors haven't minded - they think it's cool. I do work really hard to keep the area clean.

The Phoenix Permaculture Guild offers chicken workshops, and is pretty knowledgeable about local laws pertaining to "urban farms." Check them out. http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/

Tempe is a great example of "Instant City": Just add pre-fab houses and lawns that don't belong in Arizona!

How young do you believe Tempe to be? It was founded in 1871, ten years earlier than Phoenix; people had already been living in the area for many, many years.

The only pre-fab homes I am aware of are a couple of trailer parks in somewhat older parts of town; certainly not in the oldest parts of town. I do know that there are a couple of sites where pre-fab homes are SOLD.

Yes, there are many homes with lawns. Do you realize the heat difference between a rock lawn & a grass lawn?

How many CITIES have agricultural residential zoning? The city considers these areas a prize. Yes, there are mostly typical suburban & even a bit of urban areas, but go back to what has been previously stated. Tempe allows up to 5 hens in every single family residence. So, if you live in an apartment or condo--no chickens. But if you live in a house, the city allows.​

Sustainable landscapes are gradually taking over to replace the 50s mentality that says every American home should have a big green lawn.

Tempe is desert. Lawn is not a desert plant. It uses and loses large amounts of water. A "cool" yard is not natural to the region. That's why native desert plants (of which lawn grass is not one) are designed to reflect sun and conserve moisture, and native desert animals know to go under rocks and scrub during the daytime and not sit out in the open. Humans could learn a lot from them.
wink.png

Ramadas and thick walls, and other smart design keep desert homes and outdoor areas cooler. Lawns are a wasteful luxury that were born in England and Europe - lands with copious rainfall and cool weather that support a lush green expanse.

The first time I was in Tempe, in the late 90s, large developments were going in and sprawling out around the valley. They looked like a community of Taco Bells.
tongue.png
That's the image that stuck in my head because it was so predominant. Just speaking my own opinion. I'm sure many folks love the developments, which is why they bought the houses.

That said, Tempe is a very nice place. Just too much cookie-cutter developments, thanks to fast-cash developers. Happens all over the place including here in the Northeast.

Back
Top Bottom