Temperature for 6 week old chicks

LittleMissCountry

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2018
So I am a new chicken owner, and new to BYC, so I apologize if this topic has been covered time and again. I have 4 chicks that are 6 weeks old. They have been out in the coop for a week now, with a heat lamp, since the temps have been around 40-50 daytime and at or below freezing at night.
This week it has been warmer and temps are in the 40's and 50's at night. Will they be okay without the heat lamp now? The temps are supposed to dip down in the 30's again next week, but are they at an age they will be okay without heat?
I have 2 buff orpingtons and two black sex linked.

Are they fully feathered? If they are, they should be fine but if not at night you might want to give them some source of heat but be careful of fire starting if not secured right. Normally with mother hen raising them they are already weaned at this time but they will huddle together to keep warm. Make sure your coop doesn’t have a lot of direct draft or breeze when it dips down to 30s.

So I am a new chicken owner, and new to BYC, so I apologize if this topic has been covered time and again. I have 4 chicks that are 6 weeks old. They have been out in the coop for a week now, with a heat lamp, since the temps have been around 40-50 daytime and at or below freezing at night.
This week it has been warmer and temps are in the 40's and 50's at night. Will they be okay without the heat lamp now? The temps are supposed to dip down in the 30's again next week, but are they at an age they will be okay without heat?
I have 2 buff orpingtons and two black sex linked.

their not fully feathered yet use a heating pad use wire in a hoop place heating pad on it so they can go under the heat or not

Are they fully feathered? If they are, they should be fine but if not at night you might want to give them some source of heat but be careful of fire starting if not secured right. Normally with mother hen raising them they are already weaned at this time but they will huddle together to keep warm. Make sure your coop doesn’t have a lot of direct draft or breeze when it dips down to 30s.

My hubby is an electrician and secured the heat lamp so that it is safe. That was his main concern.
The Buff Orps are fully feathered but the black ones have a few patches where their down has fallen out but their feathers are not fully in, but those patches are not visible unless they are stretched out.
The lamp is on a timer so we could set it to come on only when it is the coldest.

their not fully feathered yet use a heating pad use wire in a hoop place heating pad on it so they can go under the heat or not
I hadn't thought of a heating pad. That might be a better option as I don't want the heat lamp to make it too hot. The coop isn't very big.

I have no experience with the heating pad yet, but according to Blooie, who is sort of the resident expert on using them, you might have to teach the young birds how to go under it if they get cold. There's a great (LONG) thread on that here, just search for MHP or Momma Heating Pad. Apparently, if they're used to a heat lamp they may not figure out that they need to go under the cave without some help.

If they have over 90% adult feather they should be fine with little of no heat.
These factors also depend on the chicken Speices.

we have had just too many fires from lamps do not even have a heat lamp now
Hy hubby was super concerned about fires. He put in a special pole along the top of the coop and secured the lamp to that (with a wire cage around it) so that it can't swing or fall.

If they have over 90% adult feather they should be fine with little of no heat.
These factors also depend on the chicken Speices.
The breeds I have are supposed to be cold weather hardy. I guess I am just a nervous new chick owner. Lol
Plus, they have been moving to the sides of the coop when I have had the lamp on, and only going under it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom