temperature question.

AKchicken1

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
Started 21 eggs yesterday in an old still air incubator. When I tested it empty and dry it easily held at 101.5. With eggs and water, it will not get above 99 as read at the bottom of the incubator. Egg surface temp atvthe top of the eggs is 100. So, I think I will get a new incubator tommorrow, but am wondering if the current batch is salvageable or, just plain fine? Thanks.

The slightly lower temperature would mean a delayed hatch (roughly one day if you are 1 degree under). If you want to get a new incubator, you can switch them and continue incubating them in there, they'll be fine. But before you go through that hassle and expense, why don't you try and turn the temp in the current one up by a degree?

Started 21 eggs yesterday in an old still air incubator. When I tested it empty and dry it easily held at 101.5. With eggs and water, it will not get above 99 as read at the bottom of the incubator. Egg surface temp atvthe top of the eggs is 100. So, I think I will get a new incubator tommorrow, but am wondering if the current batch is salvageable or, just plain fine? Thanks.

I agree that your eggs are still fine. One thing I've read about AND experienced is that a lower incubating temperature in the beginning will allow more females eggs to develop. The sex of the fetus is already determined by the hen before it is put in the shell. But female fetuses seem to need a cooler temp to begin developing. More males will survive to become chicks when the temp is higher. I don't know if this has been scientifically proven. If it was the hatcheries would use this trick. The hatch will be delayed if the temp stays low during the entire incubation period. I've had a lot more females than normal for the early part of this season because my incubator temp control wasn't reading right. One of my hatches this season was almost 2 degrees lower than it should have been. It took 23 days for the eggs to hatch but I got 7 females and one rooster. 20 eggs failed to hatch tho.
hmm.png

If not a fire risk put a blanket over as much as you can besides the vents if it has any. But yes there should be no harm done to them at 99.
The reason I'd suggest working with that one is odds are a quick trip to the co-op or tractor supply type store is likely going to get you a model that isn't much better. Generally they will carry little giant/farm innovators brand and you'd be better putting that money towards a different one that will maintain a steady temperature..

If not a fire risk put a blanket over as much as you can besides the vents if it has any. But yes there should be no harm done to them at 99.
The reason I'd suggest working with that one is odds are a quick trip to the co-op or tractor supply type store is likely going to get you a model that isn't much better. Generally they will carry little giant/farm innovators brand and you'd be better putting that money towards a different one that will maintain a steady temperature.. 
for sure, as long as you are within "range" to prevent deformities, a slightly lower but stable temperature will get you a far better hatch rate than with an erratic thermostat set to the right temperature.

Last edited:
I don't understand all the hate against the lg or farm innovators incubators, I have a fan model and it holds temperature just fine and I am having good hatches using a dry method, others have had similar results

$90 for a new LG 9200 here in Fairbanks. That is not happening. I pulled the wafer off the thermostat sswitch. Same result, only heats into the 98 range. Will hope to find a new switch in town tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom