Temperature Spikes: Stories Wanted

well it said you wanted temp stories so here goes my incubator has four sets of eggs in it most mix breed but some pure. Lots of dark brown eggs. Anyways I started lock down last night for the first 15 that will hatch the 26th, (also have some in it that will hatch 29th july 4, and 5th) After I did set up for lock down I went to bed at 2 this morning and woke up at 6:30 and the temp had went up to 108. I candled them they were still wiggling now I got my fingers crossed nothing will be wrong with them. Will definately keep ya updated as to if the temp spike has affected them any.

Duster, hope that it didn't stay at that temp very long.
fl.gif
Glad they are still wiggling, that's encouraging.

Justtoni, happy to hear you were able to save that one. I'm partial to splash chicks, anyway.
cool.png
Best of luck with the rest of your hatch.

Edited to remove redundancy.
wink.png

Last edited:
Good luck, Duster!

From what we're seeing, it seems so far that chicks can survive brief spikes up to ~108-110... but for very long or at much higher than that it seems like they start dying off. Good information, keep the stories coming!

I think my hatch is complete..
Not a good percentage this time..................it could have been from the 112 spike but had not expected
it would be great. Some of the eggs were old......had saved them to sell and the person backed out.
It was my dark Maran eggs that did not hatch with the exception of the first egg to hatch..............
really dark egg and black chick.
I will see what happens with the therory next hatch.
After the temp spike.I really did not expect any to survive.
Great idea for the thread, hope it keeps going.

Sorry about your Marans, Justtoni. Can you think of anything that may have saved the first one? (Farther from the heat source, closer to the middle, closer to a wall, off in a corner, age of egg compared to others?) If we can see a survival pattern perhaps we can learn where to place the darkest eggs to minimize damage.

I'd think that would carry over to any of the more valuable eggs in the 'bator, too. Last eggs from a treasured hen or roo, as well as rarer breeds, might benefit from 'preferential seating'.

Fingers still crossed for you, Duster!

Justtoni, did you open the eggs that didn't hatch to find out when they died? You may have posted earlier but did you candle them after the temp spike and if so were they alive then or too dark to see?

Sounds like you got some pretty chickens though.

HI, I have not found a way to candle the really dark eggs....................
And I just did not have the heart to open the eggs.........
I will be more accurate next hatch.
This time did not pay attention to where the eggs were before I removed them from the turner.............
and they were not dated.
Later

I had a broody sitting over eggs when it was 110 and higher outside.

Got one chick out of 6 to hatch yesterday.

(we bought her 5 more chicks... didn't want her to just have one to raise)

Sorry the others were lost. Was the living one lighter than the others might have been (had they hatched) or were there any differences in shell colors?
Not much you can do when nature turns up the heat.
sad.png

Our broody started with 8 eggs and 4 made it to 'lockdown', but during the last 10 days temps got above 112 and she got off the nest during those times. 2 hatched and 4 would have if I wouldn't have intervened so soon on 2 of them.

I have another broody on one egg that should hatch this week. She doesn't even sit on the egg and 3 golf balls when it gets over 110.
It's still growing.

Back
Top Bottom