Temperature varies from 36 °C (96.8 °F) to 39 °C (102.2 °F) in my homemade incubator! Will I have a good hatch?

Nice job.

What kind of thermostat are you using?

I'm guessing you have that much of a temp swing is because the bulbs are dipped in the water. You have to heat the water first and that won't allow them to heat up as quickly so the temp drops more.

Hello!

I've made an incubator and I've placed 39 eggs in it 8 days ago. The problem is that the temperature is different in different spots of the incubator. In one spot the temerature shows 36 °C (96.8 °F), another spot it shows 38 °C (100.4 °F) and another one above 39 °C (102.2 °F)!

The heat source of the incubator are two light bulbs that don't have direct sight with the eggs and I have also installed a fan to circulate the air.

I've candled the eggs yesterday and I can see that there is some development. In your experience, what do you think? Is there any chance to have baby chicks hatched or this is not possible with this temperature variation?

Thank you!
Time will tell.

Nice job.

What kind of thermostat are you using?

I'm guessing you have that much of a temp swing is because the bulbs are dipped in the water. You have to heat the water first and that won't allow them to heat up as quickly so the temp drops more.
Thank you!

I'm using W3230. It is not accurate but I'm also using another thermometer, which I think is more accurate!
Actually, the problem was high temperature. But, I think it is because I had one 200 Watt light bulb and one 100 Watt light bulb. I think that is so much heat. On the next batch I will try to remove 200 Watt bulb and add 100 Watt one.

It may not be accurate but I doubt it has a 5 degree temp swing, unless it is programmed in.

Actually, the problem was high temperature. But, I think it is because I had one 200 Watt light bulb and one 100 Watt light bulb. I think that is so much heat. On the next batch I will try to remove 200 Watt bulb and add 100 Watt one.
Dad burn! Yea way too much for what you have. Low wattage bulbs are what you need. If you can get (2) 40 watt bulbs that would be better. Still get the bulbs out of the water but almost touching will not hurt.

:fl Crossing fingers for you !!! 🤞🤞🤞
Thank you! I'm hoping for at least 10-15 baby chicks, because 20 or more eggs didn't have signs of development when I candled them on day 18 (they were all on the hot zone).
An update: 2 chicks hatched, 3 more pips.
It may not be accurate but I doubt it has a 5 degree temp swing, unless it is programmed in.

Dad burn! Yea way too much for what you have. Low wattage bulbs are what you need. If you can get (2) 40 watt bulbs that would be better. Still get the bulbs out of the water but almost touching will not hurt.
I will definitely try that and I will test the temperature out before putting eggs, because the first time I couldn't wait to start incubating for the first time:lol:
Thank you for your advice!

20210403_045735.jpg

UPDATE: 8 chicks hatched and they are so cute!
1 chick that made a pip on the 20th day, unfortunately died inside the egg. It's day 22 and I still have a little hope for more hatches!

Back
Top Bottom