View attachment 2268785
Number 3 has joined the brooder!
No sight of number 4 yet...
I have decided to invest into "momma hen" style heater, but before it comes will be using the lamp as a heater.
The box is maybe too small because I get 35 c on one side and 30 c on the other.
They seem to be happy there so far 🤷🏼‍♀️
You certainly have a color variety there! Congratulations - fingers crossed for #4

I have decided to invest into "momma hen" style heater, but before it comes will be using the lamp as a heater.

Good to hear. A mama hen provides the softest warmest most comforting down bed imaginable complete with a heartbeat and soothing voice, I don't think there is a baby on earth (human or non-human) that has such a comfy bed.

Then humans come along and raise them in the most uncomfortable ways possible just so long as it keeps them alive and use heat lamps, glaring lights overhead 24/7, a bowl of dry crumbles for sustenance and sometimes only a wire grate to sleep on. It is as if the chicks were prisoners and deserved to suffer for their crimes.

Good to hear. A mama hen provides the softest warmest most comforting down bed imaginable complete with a heartbeat and soothing voice, I don't think there is a baby on earth (human or non-human) that has such a comfy bed.

Then humans come along and raise them in the most uncomfortable ways possible just so long as it keeps them alive and use heat lamps, glaring lights overhead 24/7, a bowl of dry crumbles for sustenance and sometimes only a wire grate to sleep on. It is as if the chicks were prisoners and deserved to suffer for their crimes.

Unfortunately the nature is cruel and many were not meant to survive...
I'm rather disappointed with the mommy hen and her decision to abandon eggs nearly at the end of incubation, would have much rather seen the babies in their most natural habitat free ranging with the mommy and the rest... Oh well, It is as it is, at least I could give them the chance to live by saving them and doing the best I can.

I'm rather disappointed with the mommy hen and her decision to abandon eggs nearly at the end of incubation, would have much rather seen the babies in their most natural habitat free ranging with the mommy and the rest... Oh well, It is as it is, at least I could give them the chance to live by saving them and doing the best I can.
You have done very well by them, many would have just tossed the eggs given the trials you had.
Chicks don't know any better and you are now 'mom' so they will be happy and well cared for. :)

It isn't the hen's fault. Laying hens have had their mothering instincts intentionally bred out. With first time broodies there is always the risk they will abandon the eggs or worse, kill the chicks once they hatch.

You did the smart thing and acted fast when you realized what was happening.

View attachment 2268785
Number 3 has joined the brooder!
No sight of number 4 yet...
The box is maybe too small because I get 35 c on one side and 30 c on the other.
They seem to be happy there so far 🤷🏼‍♀️

They are so cute, you've done a terrific job. Hope they are all girls, you seem to have quite a variety there

I'm just curious, what breeds are the chicks?
I must say no idea. Mixed due to the flock I guess. See the pic of daddy and potential mommies 😄 (chocolate brown not there anymore)
ACFBF7DC-9690-41C1-9CC9-22BEB9D6AC64.jpeg

They are so cute, you've done a terrific job. Hope they are all girls, you seem to have quite a variety there
Yes I am amazed at variety! I hope for girls too 😁🙈...
Number 4 is not hatched yet... It's day 24... I'm not sure how much to wait. Did some candling today and saw some shadow moves but not clear to say if alive or dead... Will wait until day 26, but starting to loose hope for number 4 🙄

Back
Top Bottom