aimz127

Chirping
Sep 8, 2021
Central Michigan
Hi folks!

I'm looking to add about 5 hens before winter hits as I lost a few pullets during my first year with chickens. From looking at the forum, many suggest quarantine for new chickens to watch for disease/illness before integration. Given that coccidia has kicked my butt this season, I'm inclined to agree!

My question is - I have a mobile tractor (8'x4') that isn't being used that I can house the new hens in for ~4 weeks they would need before integration. What do I need to make a secure coop? Like the rest of the flock, they would be locked up at night (we haven't seen many predators in the area other than cats, but I'm not risking more chickens),

The intent was to add a 4'x4' wood box to the end of the tractor and call it good (with a milk crate or two for nesting). Is that enough?

My other thought was to put them in to roost at night in my camper coop as it's split in two currently, but that seems counterintuitive since the original flock has access to the entire camper area all day.

I'll post pictures shortly for reference.

My other thought was to put them in to roost at night in my camper coop as it's split in two currently, but that seems counterintuitive since the original flock has access to the entire camper area all day.
This would not work for quarantine. They need to be totally separated that includes coops and ground they would be using or even to close downwind etc. Should not be in contact in any way for quarantine to be affective. Is there anyway you could add roost to tractor and cover half with tarps or something to give them draft free roosting area inside tractor. Half covered half open air for the 4 weeks you need for your quarantine? And making it more predator proof would be my suggestion.

This would not work for quarantine. They need to be totally separated that includes coops and ground they would be using or even to close downwind etc. Should not be in contact in any way for quarantine to be affective. Is there anyway you could add roost to tractor and cover half with tarps or something to give them draft free roosting area inside tractor. Half covered half open air for the 4 weeks you need for your quarantine? And making it more predator proof would be my suggestion.
That's what I found out in my research, so definitely scrapped the idea of putting them in the coop.

This is the existing tractor that I was planning to add a coop to.
246233791_903843366900706_6120118606482904402_n.jpg

Either like this
1634667604891.png

Or this
1634667508026.png

Do chickens have an issue being low to the ground like the first option? I intend on putting a floor in to keep it warmer.

Do chickens have an issue being low to the ground like the first option? I intend on putting a floor in to keep it warmer.

Where are you located? Climate matters.

Inside the pen I linked above I had two concrete blocks supporting some scrap board to make a roost.

The main thing with that tractor would be replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Dogs and raccoons can tear right through chicken wire.

I'm in Michigan. Temps for the next week or so are going to be highs in the mid-50s, lows in the mid-40s. We aren't expected to get frost until the first week of Nov.

Hopefully, we're done with the excessive rain other than a couple of light showers, but the tractor wouldn't be in any standing water. And I can create wind blocks if needed.

Back
Top Bottom