Tennessee

This is what I came home to today
smile.png

55886_chick_1_hatch2.jpg

55886_chick_1_hatch.jpg

Quote:
The advance holds 7 large hen eggs and 12 bantam eggs (or 7 duck, 12 guinea or parrot eggs if you buy the extra tray for bantam eggs) It automatically turns the eggs and tells you how much water to add (I never checked humidity throughout my hatch) and I think I have 6 out of 7 chicks right now, kinda hard to see through the butts of fluff. I'll be putting them in the brooder tonight if no more hatch and if I can find the one egg that hasn't hatched before I move them and its pipped I'll leave them in there another night. I really like this incubator, keeps the temp even when our house fluctuates below 59 degrees at night, it is noisy when it turns them though but I prefer noise over having to remember to do it myself. If you do turn your own eggs then it holds up to 10 large eggs.

YAY!!! They're so cute! Pics will be added as soon as I'm done with homework
tongue.png

I got a broody hen.
D.gif
As far as I know she is sitting on 11 eggs might be one or two more. I baited the nest with 5 hens added extras. She has been sleeping in this nest all winter I knew it would not take much to make her go broody.

Hey y'all, molt question! I sprained my ankle Sat and haven't been able to get to the coop but once. Noticed alot of black/white feathers....only one hen they could be from. She's an older Dominecker (CityGirl in the County said that's what folks around here called Barred Rocks). Seems like her feathers have looked frayed since about Oct, when she lost all the ones under her vent. Those finally started growing in last month. Now all these others are coming out in the coop and outside. Hubby said there seems to be a bunch now. We've got the snow flying and its getting real cold the next couple nights. I saw her yesterday and everything else looked good, no signs of sickness or injury.

Beyond providing extra protein and gallon jugs of hot water in the coop overnight is there anything else I should/could do to help her thru this? Or am I missing something and it's something other than molt? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom